Loi Besson?

naps

Hi,

Is there anyone who can explain simply what Loi Besson is?  We're looking to rent a house in Deux Sevres and received the following reply from our contact there regarding some of the houses which we found and passed on to her to arrange viewing...

"Certaines maisons sont régies par la  "LOI BESSON" ce qui veut dire qu'il
ne faut pas dépasser un certain revenu pour pouvoir les louer, c'est
pourquoi je ne peux pas les visiter."

I've translated it that because of Loi Besson she cannot visit them - but I still don't understand why, or if we are in fact able to visit them when we are in the area.

Any help appreaciated!

Thanks

Thanks for the tip - I know of Franglais, so if I don't understand, I'll pass the question on.  Beginning to wonder if there's anyone who doesn't know Franglais!

Thanks once again

As they are what in the Uk would be called "Social Housing" for the less well off, I assume that your contact either knows / thinks that your family income is too high for you to qualify, or perhaps agents don't get involved because there are no fees to be earned.

What the loi besson actually means is that the owner of the property has bought it partly in order to reduce his taxes. The loi refers to the purchase. In return for the deduction, there are limits imposed on the income a tennant may have and on the rent. It is therefore a form of private social housing, although not to be confused with HLM which are council houses, the owner is free to rent to whom he wishes within the income bracket. These properties also cannot be rented as a second residence, so this could be another problem for your contact.