The good old days

[quote]Furrynix said God only knows what you are behind that computer! That goes for everyone doesn't it, it's one of the things I like about it There is room on board for us all! Barring recent 'm...[/quote]

It never entered my head that you might be one of those transitvans that dresses up as a woman or even a member of the Salvation Army!

I just picked up my costume for the Bears Ball in Oxford, It is a bit tight round me waist but I look so cute as a bear I might wear the costume all the time!

Well, you missed something Cafeman ! Of all the Indians I've tried in the UK, Mangla is the best one, by a long Nan, whenever I go back to S. Yorks I go for a blow-out there. There was a real stigma agst that part of town (S4) mind, where I lived in for a couple of yrs without any pbs whatsoever, it was just an ordinary working-class area really, full of characters ! I remember some of my S10 and S11 dwellers- colleagues absolutely panicking at the thought of parking their cars outside my house in broad daylight ! I liked many areas in Sheff, loved the S11 bit round N. Edge, beautiful and peaceful but it was such a polarised city ! I liked Ecclesall Rd as well on week days/holidays, it was pandemonium but never threatening compared to other main drinking areas in other cities. I have fond memories of the Cafe 9 in N. Edge as well, and romantic promenades in Whitlow Park (I think it was officially called), such a gorgeous, peaceful and quiet haven of peace; of all the UK cities I've lived in, I prefer Sheff, very underrated city.

Aaahhh, it's a Sheffield Love In.

I was lucky enough to live in and near some really lovely parts of Sheffield, the areas Vraiti mentioned.

'Such a gorgeous, peaceful and quiet haven of peace; of all the UK cities I've lived in, I prefer Sheff, very underrated city'.

When I was teaching at University in Manchester, one of the things that happened every term was that one or two kids would arrive from some small town, or village and freak out completely.

We would never try and hang on to these youngsters, and it used to give me great pleasure to recommend Sheffield and get them transferred to a similar course there.  I'm so glad my son lives there, rather than in Manchester where he grew up.

Furrynix, I have been called many things, but Transitvan is just fantastic,   Petit coquin is a great description for you.

"Aaahhh, it's a Sheffield Love In."

It seems that way. We both went to University there and just kind of ended up staying on and living in Sheffield. I believe it used to be famous for having a very high retention rate for students staying on and living there, just as we did. We kind of accidently lived there for 14 years, without ever having the intention of doing so. I suppose me carrying on to being a Post Doc at the Uni might have had /something/ to do with it though!

Sheffield is a very nice place, and very friendly for a big city (though being spread out it feels smallish), along with the beautiful country-side just "t'other side uh'rode" - but I still don't miss it!

And not one of you have mentioned the vertical gardens that one sees from the M1,heading south to the left.

To say Sheffield is hilly is an understatement. And these gardens appear to be literally vertical. A lawn and borders and I am constantly amazed that they don't slip away, or that people don't need ropes and grappling hooks to get to their front doors....... well maybe I am exaggerating a bit with that bit, but not much.

"people ... need ropes and grappling hooks to get to their front doors....... well maybe I am exaggerating a bit with that bit, but not much."

There are some streets in Sheffield that are so steep they have handrails on the pavements - I kid you not! As you might imagine, coming from Norfolk this came as a bit of a shock to me

Do you remember which streets it were caf' ? I remember round about where you lived in S11 territory was v. hilly (Neill rd ? I think was particularly hilly), bits of Crookes as well (if coming from the Uni) as well were so hilly, driving in the winter was such a hazard, I never quite understood how the people there managed to park their cars on those streets, they were so crowded as well, a real feat I tell you.  I have good memories of every city I've lived in in the UK (basically, pretty much all the large ones) but I shall always rate Sheff Top of the crop, not the prettiest, maybe not the friendliest either, but (apart from the obvious ubiquitous greenery) the most diverse and interesting to me, also, I'm a topography nut and I loved it there for that !

[quote]"one of those transitvans that dresses up as a woman"Ha! Best thing I've read today!Hairypants - I hope you won't be offended if I describe you as beautifully bonkers![/quote]

I have been called worse things than that! I was once called a Helicopter landing pad and I have even been used as a sofa!

Can I ask you why you always put a picture of that big Greek lad that wears parachutes (Dennis Rufus) in your posts? I heard  "Happy To Be On An Island In The Sun"  on Nostalgie last week, It brought back lovely memories of the time I was a young lad back in County Kildare, going to buy my first Guinea Pig with my dear Mother, He was on special offer with a packet of Lux Flakes thrown in free with every Guinea Pig on that day (which was Holy Thursday) His name was Gilbert, he was a lovely tri colour rosette lad. I was over the moon that day, I was up at 5 am to go into town to get him, I was that excited. Can you imagine how I felt when we bought Josephine to keep him company, and we ended up with a bunch of little Gilberts running round the place? I had no idea where they all came from, and thought the fairies had brought them to me to sell on and buy my dream creature, a Siamese cat! Needless to say, I never raised anywhere near enough for the Siamese, Guinea Pigs were not in great demand back then, which is why I suppose the lad in the pet shop was throwing in the Lux Flakes to get rid of them all! But they really were the good old days!

"the man that never had any money, never lost any money" as they say in Bally Shannon.

"Do you remember which streets it were caf' ? I remember round about where you lived in S11 territory was v. hilly"

Theres one that goes off perpendicular to Ecclesall road near the Hunters Bar roundabout end. Next time you go down Ecclesall road going towards that roundabout (from town), look right and you'll see it. I can't recall the name of the road. All I can say is, you can't miss it because it's the one that has the handrail down the side of it

Ahhh, the good old days...

See, I knew we'd get this thread back on track

TU, my sister has one of those vertical front gardens, with 12 steps up to the front door When you go out to get the milk in the morning there's a distinct feeling of vertigo. Pity the poor milkmen, and paper boys and girls eh?

This forum should keep Sheffield fans quiet for a while, (but will be of little interest to anyone who has never lived there

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread/t-2666.html

The topic i've linked to is titled 'What is the Steepest Road in Sheffield', and as it's built on 7 hills (just like Rome, every Sheffield schoolchild is taught!) there are plenty of contenders. Penrhyn Road, mentioned earlier, is nothing compared to some of these babies. Happy Days, Strong Leg Muscles!

"This forum should keep Sheffield fans quiet for a while..."

I remember when that first started, he went full-out on 'promoting' it far and wide. Looks like he's now doing well in Google with his Search Engine Friendly pages.

"Penrhyn Road, mentioned earlier, is nothing compared to some of these"

Ah, sorry about that *hands the thread back* - I thought I only mentioned Penrhyn Road in passing, as that's where I used to live. You're absolutely correct though, it's steep but it's not /that/ steep, especially if you live at the bottom of it.

Give me an S... give me an H... give me an E... give me an F...

No, seriously, we'd best get back to navel gazing about forum dynamics

"I have several Siamese if you would like one"

That is such a lovely gesture Mrs Animal! Thank you for the offer of one of your Siamese. I would be worried if it is one that has settled into your family and would pine for you if he was put into a new home? Why has no one come forward with the offer of a Giraffe when I said I was looking for one? (don't suppose you have one of those going cheap?) What points are your Siamese? I love the Lilac point and Seal point meself. They have lovely faces don't they? I have a niece that looks like a Siamese cat!

I am off to Tesco for me weekend shopping now, and I am going in me Bear outfit to test the water! I have contacted the local Pig shop, and was told by a constable, that I am not committing any offence by going to Tesco as a Bear on a friday evening.

That's a shame you didn't want to take a Siamese, Furrynix.  They were on offer until the end of June with two pairs of chopsticks and a litter tray.  They are seal point, but we did have a lilac point once.  Yes, they have lovely faces and I prefer the "appleheads" rather than the oriental type.  They are my favourite cat.

We're out of giraffes right now, but I'll let you know if one comes in.

Bon weekend chez Tesco,

Christine

Furryknickers, are you all right? I hope you managed to make it back safely through those Sheffield hills. It all sounded a bit dangerous to me.

We haven’t heard a tweet from you since you disappeared into Tesco’s in your new bear suit. There are a lot of transitvans about at this time of year. You want to be careful wearing that thing, especially as you said it is a little tight around the waist.

I worry about you…

Mme. Animal

P.S. I have since seen that you were around in your new Panda suit with Rose Coloured Spectacles over the weekend.  I like your Summer outfit...

Hi,

I haven't been on this forum for months and months. No one will have missed me because I wasn't a prolific poster (although a few more than it says here - my numbers went down when the software changed!).

In the 3 years since we bought our house in Brittany the forum has been invaluable to us for advice, etc. and for the first couple of years I was addicted, but then I couldn't be bothered, mainly because I got bored with the constant bickering and squabbling.

Popped back tonight to see how things are, and I have to say I've noticed a change. Lots of new posters, mixing with some of the old favourites. Maybe I'll keep popping back!

Diane

Evening Mrs Animal

Thank you for worrying about me!

I have looked at your lovely website, and I just fell in love with Louis, Vanessa, Vodka and Vera! I allways wanted a woman dog called Vera! Louis is the spitting image of Sanjay (Mrs Gupta's husband)

I had a bad time at Tesco last Friday evening! there was the most terrible frackarse over a pack of curly wurly's. I was treated very differently to anyone else, and it was very obvious that there is prejudice against Bears in this particular branch of Tesco, I certainly hope it is an isolated case and not company policy to discriminate against these creatures or operate a Bear barr (maybe that is why I have never seen any Bears in Tesco) It was a nightmare living as a Bear for that short time, even though I was rather attractive. The Police were called in at one stage and in the end I was sectioned. The Bear costume has gone back to the hire shop and I find the Panda suit has a little more give in it around the waist and is less conspicuous.

Any news on a Giraffe yet?