House prices

I've just read this shocking tale:

Three pensioners were in intensive care in a Grenoble hospital yesterday after ordering a glass each of a popular local liqueur, génépi, and being mistakenly served caustic soda.

The three, a man of 69, his wife, 68, and her 94-year-old mother, were still in a critical condition after drinking the highly corrosive and toxic cleaning fluid on the terrace of a restaurant in the mountain resort of Deux Alpes on Wednesday night, a spokesman for the gendarmerie said.

What effect do you think this will have on house prices on France?

Probably much the same as in England some 35-40 years ago when innocent members of the public ordered beer in pubs, but were served with that equally corrosive and unpleasant substance popularly known as keg bitter.

Could not happen in the UK?? Well, in fact a similar case forms the basis for one of the most famous cases in English law "Donoghue v Stevenson"  This case is the case law used for taking reasonable care not to hurt one's "neighbour"

The gist of it was

Miss Donoghue, sought to recover damages from the respondent, who was a manufacturer of aerated waters, for injuries she suffered as a result of consuming part of the contents of a bottle of ginger-beer which had been manufactured by the respondent, and which contained the decomposed remains of a snail.  The defence was that the bottle was made of dark opaque glass and that the appellant had no reason to suspect that it contained anything but pure ginger-beer.  Some of the ginger-beer was put into a tumbler, and the  appellant drank some of the contents of the tumbler, then her friend poured the remainder of the contents of the bottle into the tumbler when a snail, which was in a state of decomposition, floated out of the bottle.

So what you having monsieur? Decomposed snail or caustic soda

This case is the case law used for taking reasonable care not to hurt one's "neighbour"

LOL, they're STILL using the Paisley Snail?   What a laugh, I learned about that in law over 20 years ago.  I thought I'd better refresh my memory before making a fool of myself (again), so here's the Wikipedia entry for it.  Was there ever a snail at all?  If there was, could it have been a slug?  It's almost as exciting as the mystery of the Marie Celeste!  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donoghue_v._Stevenson

There's even a video of it!!! 

http://www.thepaisleysnail.com/testimonials.shtml

Les Deux Alpes? Doesn't surprise me. It was there that I bought the worst hot dog I have ever, ever seen/tasted in my life. The sausage appeared to be one of those 'knack' things, which are pretty artificial in the first place, but on the inside bore absolutely no resemblance to meat whatsoever. Some sort of mechanically recovered slurry; they hadn't even bothered to colour it pink. Beurk! My children, to their credit, refused to eat the thing. Perhaps the lethal liquer was served in the same establishment. (Oh dear, I know it's not at all a funny story, the poor people. Really scary in fact.)

Jo

[quote]Les Deux Alpes? Doesn't surprise me. It was there that I bought the worst hot dog I have ever, ever seen/tasted in my life. The sausage appeared to be one of those 'knack' things, which are pretty art...[/quote]

A Lady I am mingling with, had one of those things near Saint Cergu in the Alps, she became voilently ill after eating it, and she really has never recovered . She is still losing weight now, and has been since eating the terrible thing. Her mother thinks she may now have developed bullmania. I think they are made up of the left overs of various bits of animals ears and noses and stuff like that.

Animals should be loved and not eaten!

[quote]Les Deux Alpes? Doesn't surprise me. It was there that I bought the worst hot dog I have ever, ever seen/tasted in my life. The sausage appeared to be one of those 'knack' things, which are pretty art...[/quote]

Hmm.....

Which part of the dog did you get ?

Peter