Is total France down

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]Ah well, it's all down to the subtle interplay of light and shade on the beard...[/quote]

**Ah well, it's all down to the subtle interplay of light and shade on the beard...**

Uh-huh! . . . . Sure! Me ,too!

BTW - Being a Mac-guy, do you (or anyone else, for that matter, know of anyone who could use a PPC6500 w/275Mh Processor and 15" crt monitor. I have one sitting in the barn going to waste. All I want for it is a 'good home' and be used. I just can't bring myself to throw it away. We both have G4's and a G3 Laptop for traveling.

[quote]I don't, I'm afraid. I would have suggested 'Computers4Africa' but they seem to have received a lot of criticism, seehttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2989567.stmI always have my kids queuing for old ...[/quote]

**How about a local school?**

I thought about that but they would have to have French software and OS.

Miki,

it seems that you can access the site via IE but not others such as Firefox, perhaps that is your problem. They are getting there (slowly) but still have other little gliches to sort as well. The situation is not helped by them currently being in France.

[quote]Miki, it seems that you can access the site via IE but not others such as Firefox, perhaps that is your problem. They are getting there (slowly) but still have other little gliches to sort as well. ...[/quote]

Hi Lennon,

Yes I am on Mozilla so that might explain it.

What caused it ? Does seem rather bizarre that a site can simply be rendered caput. Hope they get it back OK, they sure work hard for little reward. I wouldn't think anyone of us would wish the owners any harm but only good luck.

Hi Miki,

Al I know is that there seems to have been a hard disk problem (I'm no computer expert as you can tell). As usual its sods law when problems appear in that Finlay and Monika are over in France working with slower equipment than they otherwise would be. From what I've heard this trip seems to have been a complete nightmare so far.

Yes I agree with you, in that you have to be very appreciative of the hard work and personal time they put in to keep the site up and running. As I keep saying all of the French sites offer the members something different and why there should be rivalries or disdainful put downs of each other by posters (of whichever site) I simply can't understand.

I haven't said anything pejorative - just that some parts of that site aren't exactly my cup of tea, and that some of the undoubted clique in the general discusion area have a strong territorial instinct and do attack outsiders, especially those capable of coherent thought. That isn't pejorative, it's true.

It's also the home of the sulky walkout, oh look I'm back again trick!

Given my history with TF (past) I have not commented so far. However, I agree with Dick. Not that there is anything right or wrong with a site having a strong clique. After all it is privately run and can thus be whatever the owner wants. So I am not “putting anything/anybody down”, just agreeing with an observation (which is neither positive nor negative).

Ian

The problems they do still have relate to the web server configuration rather than the forum themselves. The problems are with accessing the main pages (www.totalfrance.com or http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/index.php. If you can get into a topic page (e.g. http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6846) then it will work and you can mostly navigate within the particular section of the forum (but cannot get to the root forum page).

They just need to sort out the configuration properly (e.g. restore a backup). Don’t know why I’m pointing things out to them given how I was treated !!!

Ian

At the moment with IE you need to turn off the pop-up blocker and the site may display in a small fixed size pop-up window (with no scroll bars).

However, this is nor particularly useful so it may not be worth trying.

Also, for the forums, the MySQL server is not running (or cannot be accessed) so they wont be working however to connect to the web site.

Ian

[quote]I haven't said anything pejorative - just that some parts of that site aren't exactly my cup of tea, and that some of the undoubted clique in the general discusion area have a strong territorial insti...[/quote]

I TOTALly agree with you, Dick. Two of the topics are more like 'Chat Rooms'. Nobody forces us to go there though. Different key-strokes for different e-blokes!

[quote]I TOTALly agree with you, Dick. Two of the topics are more like 'Chat Rooms'. Nobody forces us to go there though. Different key-strokes for different e-blokes![/quote]

I quite like the idea of the virtual pub and cafe Ray, as it means that you don't tend to hijack other threads with idle chit chat, but as you said (and I think this is a great phrase) its 'different key strokes for different e-blokes'.

[quote]I quite like the idea of the virtual pub and cafe Ray, as it means that you don't tend to hijack other threads with idle chit chat, but as you said (and I think this is a great phrase) its 'different ...[/quote]

Tis true, Dick.

I logged on for the first time using the links in the posting of Deimos and it worked fine.

The topics seem to cover the same sort of territory as LF but I have not yet explored fully. I must agree that the updated (presumably) photo of Dick does not do him any favours.

[quote]**I just tried to log on to TF and it tried to become a download... very weird.**On my Mac as well. I didn't try, naturally. Totally weird! There must be a bunch of chit-chatters down there having ...[/quote]

......and this is what?  Seems like chit chat to me!!

Bunnz, as a grandma (see i haven't called you granny) and a regular on TF you're supposed to be all pink and fluffy, like a little marshmallow, not aggressive and picking arguments with other posters.

robx