Rain and snow

Teamedup

Everything is amazingly green here for this time of year. Even the football field is lush and green, usually it is scub and bare earth now.

Needless to say we have had quite a lot of rain, but no snow in the mountains as yet.

So over there in SW France have you had rain, as I'm sure that it has been mentioned that there was snow in the Pyrenees.

I couldn`t see Canigou (our highest point) this morning , visibility is quite poor and the temps are high, very muggy although the sun is out and hardly any wind....certainly no rain near us in 66, although I have to say that yesterday I was up early (5 am ish) and there was a distinct autumnal chill in the air....

Mrs O

[quote]Everything is amazingly green here for this time of year. Even the football field is lush and green, usually it is scub and bare earth now. Needless to say we have had quite a lot of rain, but no sno...[/quote]

Had torrential thunderstorm wednesday night/thursday am and with the heat we've got most things are greening up nicely thankyou. Might even cut the grass tomorrow - first 'proper' cut since early spring!

I was just wondering especially as there was an excess of rain all over more easterly parts of europe last week. And we have certainly had quite a lot here.

I have no idea how the vines around here will be affected either as I suspect that we have had too much rain and too little sun, although the sun is shining now. What will the wine be like from the dry areas? anyone know or any ideas?

[quote]"What will the wine be like from the dry areas? anyone know or any ideas?"I would hasard a guess at a small but very 'good' crop - possibly a good vintage year but hey, what do I know about viticultur...[/quote]

The local Mayor reckons its going to be a good year for wine, and he’s a bit of an enthusiast in that he has his own little “private” vineyard (Pays-de-Loire).

Ian

But on the subject of viticulture, have you noticed how it varies from vineyard to vineyard and that terroir plays an even more important role than the weather?  In articles talking about the generally great year of 2000, certain chateaux in Bordeaux did far better than even their immediate neighbours.  Now don't quote me but I thought, for example, that the Haut Medoc fared better than St Emilion due to the effect of the heat on the limestone soil in the latter?  (Someone come to my rescue please!!!)  Whatever, it's a fascinating subject.  M