hunters are allowed on your land

kd

the hunting season began in this area last w/e which meant loud men, guns and dogs surrounded our property. They even walk across our fields. My wife fears for the safety of our animals. Today we went to our local mairie to request "réserve de chasse" signs to forbid hunting on our land, however, I was informed that one cannot stop hunting on your land unless you have a fence or you have at least 20 hectares of land in which case you are entitled to "réserve de chasse" signs.

In other words the bottom line is live with it or install a fence.

Only my experience but

I have reserve de chasse on our 3 hectares much for the same reasons . No problems since ' touch wood' .After expressing concerns about my animals at the Mairie- The President of the chasse came round for coffee and quickly changed the signs .

I haven't improved the fencing people could still enter but thankfully don't

The normal situation is that hunters have the right to roam across anyone's land. However you can get your property designated as a nature reserve and hence excluded from hunting access. Until 2000 this only applied if you had more than 20 hectares, but this rule was deemed to be contrary to human rights so France had to remove the size restriction.

You declare that you will not allow hunting on any sort on any of your land wherever situated in France. You will equally then not be able to do any hunting there yourselves, other than  pest destruction.

It is all handled through the Prefecture and can take up to five years before it comes into effect, as the hunting maps are only revised every five years.

See

http://champagne-ardenne.lpo.fr/chasse/Loi_Verdeille/loi_Verdeille.htm

We stopped the locals hunting across our land last year on the basis that they were very likely to shoot my husband as he trekked to and fro from the pommiers on a Sunday afternoon with ever increasing loads of apples. The hunters desisted and this year we and all our neighbours have been over run by hares.  I think I'll be telling the chasse they can come back but we need to agree dates and times.

In my case (4ha fenced), the local hunt organisation asked me and I said yes and no – I allowed them on part of my land (that I don’t use) but not on other parts (which I use with my dogs). They were very pleased with the arrangement (they needed a contract which included auto renewal, cancellation rights, typical French stuff). It seemed the previous owner disallowed hunting anywhere on the land.

I have since only had one case of hunters walking over the part I said no to (though they use the fields I said yes to quite a lot).

I am pleased I allowed it as, when I asked the local hunt for help with some “pests” (incl. Ragondins), they came, set traps, visited all the time to “empty” traps, reset, etc. (over several weeks) and didn’t charge me anything (though failed to catch the “real pest”.

Sorry, I know it isn't funny really, but I just sprayed my keyboard and monitor with coffee at the post about being "overrun with hares"

I had an amusing thought of millions of hares running around on OUR property.

Having said that, on crossing the Beauce last early July in the early hours of the morning, I was surprised at the number of hares we saw. I thought they were solitary creatures.

Alcazar