marriage certificate

emma5

Hi

There are two ways of doing this.

1)Select an official translatorr from the local list. Pay the money.

2)Do it yourself (A wedding certificate is not like translating War and Peace ?) and sign it.

Method 2 worked for us.

Peter

Hi

I think our Mairie had a list of authorised translators.

Another translation discovery I made :

The tax office requested translation of a customs document for importation of a car. The document was in Swedish and English. When I queried it, because English was one of the official EU languages, the translation requirement vanished.

Not sure if this could apply to other documents. In any event , it is probably not worth the time arguing the point : even if you are correct ?

Bonne chance

Peter

In terms of price just to give you an idea, when I got my degree certificate translated by a sworn translator it cost 50 euros, I should think a marriage certificate would be similar. I got a list of translators from the consulate. If you look on the British embassy website under the list of consulates and choose the one nearest to where you are there is a link to a list of sworn translators for each area.

• 3 weeks later...
I had my docs translated and they charged 16 centimes per word.  For birth cert, divorce and another the total was 75€ and they got the translations back to me within 2 days.  I can give you their e-mail address if you need it.

I would say that unless you have actually been asked to get a document translated, then it isn't worth the hassle.

Most of the books about living in France say that official translations are needed, and that may well be the case for some offices. But we have bought and sold houses, got titres de sejour, joined the medical system, got jobs, started businesses, bought, sold and registered vehicles and loads more - although we have had to show a lot of English documents we have never been asked for translations.

It depends on what you need the translation for. My wife is a trained translator and when we moved over she did all of our paper work and we had no problems before we were married, but the documents for our wedding had to be done from an approved translator. The Mairie had a list of authorised translators we could use and we had to use one of those from the list. A birth certificate cost i think 35 euros which is a joke really as there only about 10 words that are translated

[quote]I would say that unless you have actually been asked to get a document translated, then it isn't worth the hassle. Most of the books about living in France say that official translations are needed,...[/quote]

Same here Will, never been asked for a translation of any certificate, why would I be?  CPAM happy; Impots happy; sub prefecture happy  Notaire happy.  Its not like the UK ones are in chinese or arabic or something and the official does not know what they are looking at.  Sounds like an out of date reference book or jobsworth in the mix here some:where