Scooters for disabled

Try going into your local chemist and ask as they are the people who normally arrange for the person from the wheelchair company to visit when you're in for a new wheelchair. We hired a wheelchair before getting a new one for the boss. Scooters?????????? don't know.

Benjamin

[quote]Tried this on Health but didn't work. My elderly father will be spending next summer in France and will miss the independence his scooter gives him. Is it possible to rent these and if so how much? ...[/quote]

Doubt that you will find a rental here. I always brought mine with me when going back and forth before moving here.

I don't think I have seen more than half a dozen here in 10 years.

If your father is traveling by air,why not phone the company and see if they allow his scooter to travel with him, i have a friend in the UK whose husband is in a scooter/electric wheelchair and he has taken continental package holidays with it.

If the chair is a bulky one, why not try in the UK at the disability shops to see if there is a possibility of a long term hire of a lighter weight, possibility from the UK end?

Mrs O

Thank you all.  I'll look into hiring a smaller one at this end (his own is one of the heavier sorts).  I'd no idea you could take them on a plane, but if, as seems likely, we're going to have to drive down with him we may need one of the fold-up types.  He says they don't look very secure but of course they would have to be.

Our next nightmare now is keeping him safe.  The road to the bar has no pavement and is on a bend, and French drivers being what they are!  If only I could ground him; it really was simpler looking after the kids. 

[quote]Thank you all. I'll look into hiring a smaller one at this end (his own is one of the heavier sorts). I'd no idea you could take them on a plane, but if, as seems likely, we're going to have to driv...[/quote]

** I'll look into hiring a smaller one at this end (his own is one of the heavier sorts).**

Do NOT forget 3rd party insurance for France. It will NOT be covered with UK policy.

[quote]I received a private message about hiring scooters but lost it. Thank you to whover sent it - I'll certainly look into it.[/quote]

**I received a private message about hiring scooters but lost it.**

I would be interested in knowing about that.

[quote]Hi, I know that there is a company operating in the charente region, I have contacted them to see if they know of anyone more local to Mont St Michel & will let you know if I hear anything back. ...[/quote]

**I have contacted them to see if they know of anyone more local to Mont St Michel & will let you know if I hear anything back.**

Thanks, Fiona.