pets

Jomo

Hi,

i know this is absolutely nothing at all to do with france, but would appreciate some advice asap.

Just found our beloved cat dead, knocked down by a car. Am picking up the kids from school in a wee while(10 and 8 years- am very worried about hw my eldest will react, very sensitive girl who tends to keep things to herself. Am I best just being honest or saying the cat must be lost.

Thanks Joan

I am soo sorry about your news, can only imagine what you are going through at the moment. I am certainly no expert on this matter but if it were me, I would be honest and tell the truth. She will eventually come to terms with it and again only my opinion but the worry over it being lost would be very stressful to say the least and also a pretence by you would also have to kept up which could add to your stress and sadness. I am so sorry again.

So very sorry too.  It is bad enough for us adults to face something like that.  But I agree with WJT, it is perhaps best to tell the truth.  There is nothing worse than doubt and not knowing.  When you know the truth you can try to accept it, together, and once you accept it you can try to move on, however hard it is.

Bon courage.

Tell the truth matter-of-factly. If they want to see the cat (if they can and it's not too horrific) let them. If they want to have a funeral, help them. IMO, losing pets is part of growing up and understanding life and death. You may be surprised how matter-of-factly they deal with it too. But then they may not.

One of our cats got run over the day before my nieces and nephew (who loved the cat dearly) came to visit. When I told them what had happened I got all choked and it appeared they found me more embarassing than they were upset over the cat.