Luton Airport accomodation

Punch

Will be travelling out from Luton airport after flying in from Dinard. Can anyone recommend a clean family hotel for one night, as close to the airport as possible as the morning flight out is very early. There are plenty to choose from but would prefer a personal recommendation.

Paul

My daughter and family recently stayed at the Ibis by Luton Airport also for an early morning departure and were less than impressed to say the least. Sorry I can't give you a positive recommendation, just a warning from their experience! Perhaps someone else has a better suggestion. Good luck!

Thanks Maureen,

There seem to be only two to choose from actually at or very near the airport, and Ibis is the cheaper. Do you know what the actual problems were, as we intend to stay over for one night on our return also!

Paul 

Sorry for the delay in replying. Daughter says Ibis was very basic, didn't have a kid's menu, the service was a bit 'faulty towers' and the bathroom was 'grotty'.. She says to tell you that Holiday Inn Express is closer, looked much better and has a free courtesy coach to the airport every 10 minutes. Don't know the rates though.

Try potsing your question in the general postbag here, it's in the Legal section - did you realise?

Maureen

I used to live around that area Paul.  The Hertfordshire Moathouse at Markyate is quite good (it's a few miles from the airport but runs a regular shuttle service).  There's an excellent Indian restaurant within walking distance too!  Alternatively you could go further afield, say St Albans, my home town and MUCH MUCH nicer than Luton.  The train journey is 11 minutes to Luton Parkway with a free shuttle to the airport but I'm afraid I can't recommend any hotels as some have come, some have gone and others have changed hands since I knew them well.

Firstly , thanks to all for very helpful replies. Ron - What can I say about this post somehow being in the legal section? I could almost swear it wasn't me who put it there, (honest) as I remember trying to find a suitable category

Maureen - Thanks for the very useful information about the Ibis, which makes me lean towards choosing the Holiday Inn Express. It's very difficult from the websites I've looked at to find exactly how far they are from the airport itself, so that's very good to know. I'd rather pay a little extra for a good nights sleep

Coco - I know the Moathouse at Markyate, I went to a wedding there a few years ago! I'm VERY tempted indeed to go to St Albans; lovely city with lots of character, with good pubs and restaurants too!  My brother lives in the city centre there, but his house is too small for us all, and he is currently decorating. Funnily enough, I was in St Albans 4 weeks ago for a few days, and know it fairly well. (I lived in Watford, then Abbots langley before moving here.)

The problem about the outward journey is that check in for our flight from Luton is 5 am the next day , so probably too early for trains and shuttles, but then I could consider a taxi I suppose. The return journey into Luton two weeks later, leaves us hanging around for a day and night (whilst waiting for a flight back to France with Ryanir from Luton), so we'll probably stay further afield, so could be the Moathouse. A WHOLE day in Luton doesn't sound like an appealing option!

Paul

I haven't stayed there myself as I used to live only 5 minutes away, but the Holiday Inn Express, previously mentioned at the M1/A5 junction was only built about 5 years ago so should be in good order, and the Moathouse has a gym and swimming pool, if that would interest you. As for you return journey with a day to kill, you could always take the children to Whipsnade Wild Animal Park - always good for a day out.