Odd Label on Package from Amazon

I ordered a U.S. DVD from Amazon.  It was delivered intact and unopened.  They used some sort of global mail system where the package must have been drop shipped to Germany, than simply posted to us from there.

What intrigues me is a printed yellow label on the package that states: "Goods do not meet the requirement of Article 9 and 10 of the contract for the foundation of the European Community."

I order things from the States all the time, and this is not the first order I've received from Amazon.  But I've never seen this label before.  The only thing I can think of is that it's there because the dvd is a Region 1 disk, but I'm not 100% sure.

I googled the info, but didn't come up with anything.

Anyone ever seen something like it before?

PG

I think you will find that Amazon shuffle orders throughout their international business often sending from cheapest or nearest company.

There are products that for various legal and contractual reasons they are not allowed to sell from one market place to another.

I have tried to order expensive camera equipment from Amazon USA but they will not send it to France, likewise a TV signal transmitter from UK to Fance.

You may also notice Amazon UK are offering to avoid VAT by you making the order to Amazon in the channel islands - but they will not send the goods to France which is strange.

In both instances I used a friends address in the relevant country to send the item to and then had them reship to me.

The sticker is probably a legal necessity.

If it was a DVD you may find it a Region 1 (US) DVD rather

than Region 2 (Europe, etc.).  Whilst it

will play fine in a multi-region player it would not play in some (no idea how

common multi-region players are these days)

Could be that was the reason for the sticker ?

Ian

I have almost everything I buy from the States sent to a friend, then re-shipped. Besides avoiding the "French" question, the shipping is always cheaper when my friends do it.  Plus, they make sure the customs form is filled out with a reasonable value.

I know for a fact that the DVD is a Region 1, because it wasn't available in Region 2. Not a problem, because we have a code-free, converting DVD player.  The more I think about it, however, I'm sure that's precisely why it was marked, because, clearly, companies are not supposed to sell things from one region to another because of copyright issues.  As if they can really stop the determined TV addict!

PG

You may also notice Amazon UK are offering to avoid VAT by you making the order to Amazon in the channel islands - but they will not send the goods to France which is strange.

I think that is because buying things for the UK from the Channel Islands escapes VAT because of the strange status of the Channel Islands, ie part of the EU in some ways but not others. The loophole which allows these exports to the UK has been blocked by specific legislation in France and some other EU countries. Many think it is only a matter of time until The UK stops it too.

The main loser, other than the UK CD and vitamin buyer, will be the Jersey Post Office. Most of the packages are made up in the UK, shipped to the Islands in bulk and then posted out to the customer from the islands. The actual presence of companies such as Amazon, Play, and Tesco in the Islands is limited to a registration at their local solicitor!

[quote user="BJSLIV"]... The actual presence of companies such as Amazon, Play, and Tesco in the Islands is limited to a registration at their local solicitor![/quote]

From the BBC News website:

Firms that distribute cut-price CDs and DVDs for

major chain stores from Jersey to avoid VAT are to have their licences

stopped in a year's time.

Several chain stores including Tesco and Asda have moved internet mail-order operations to the island to avoid VAT.

Under EU law, retailers that operate outside the EU can

sell products valued at less than £18 to customers in member states

without charging VAT.

But Jersey's government says negative publicity hits the island's reputation.

Economic Development Minister Philip Ozouf said businesses based in

Jersey, that buy stock in Jersey and store it there before selling it,

will still be able to operate.

Companies like play.com, which is based in Jersey, are thought to be unaffected.