Buying beds in France

We want to buy a couple of double beds in our local furniture shop in France as soon as we get there - then we read the article on ikea. Does anyone know the size of double beds as we were going to buy the sheets and quilts etc from here in the UK and take them down with us? Thanks

I think you are right to buy your linen in the UK as much of the French linen is really difficult to iron. UK duvets etc. will be fine on French beds but you might have a problem with fitted sheets as the French beds are slightly different in size. If you stick with flat sheets you won't have a problem.

As far as beds are concerned, we have bought several from one of our local market traders. He has a good choice and his prices are competitive. What's even better is that he delivers to the house for free, carries the bed upstairs, puts the legs on and will take away an old bed to dispose of if there is one.

For fitted sheets it is the size of the mattress not the bed that is important. Most Ikea double beds are designed for mattresses of either 140cm x 200cm or 160cm x 200cm ( I beleive there is a 140 x190 option also).

You can see all the options with sizes here - http://www.ikea.com/ms/fr_FR/rooms_ideas/mattress_2006/index.html

We bought four beds from Ikea Toulouse when we first moved in - all with Sultan Forestad matresses. 4 years on and we are very happy with them. We brought some bed linen from the UK (M&S) which fits the 160 size perfectly  and bought the rest in Ikea Toulouse - very good value.

Hope that helps

rgds

Hagar

We bought a couple of standard double beds in UK about 8 years ago, which we brought to France.  we've since bought nicer ones but want a couple of twins, so thought we'd saw ours up and make to singles out of them.  What's the most common single size in France?  Is it 80 or 90cm?

Scarlett

Be also aware that in France, a bed consists of THREE bits, head/foot, or combinationof the two, with sides, mattress, and a "sommier" or base to fix to the bed sides to support the mattress.

We DIDN'T know this, and when our much waited-for bed arrived WITHOUT a sommier, I had to stop my wife from killing the store manager.[:D]

Alcazar