OH ****!!!

Oh Twinkle, that must have been so difficult. I can't believe you didn't cry, you're strong! (I'm sat here sobbing & can't see my keyboard!) It sounds like your babe handled it quite well too. Hopefully, the new kitten will help ease some pain. Thanks for coming back. sorry, short as I can't see to type!

I've only just seen this, but for what its worth you done right. We've had a lot of experience of telling kids about the demise of pets (and friends and relatives) and it is far the best way to be honest but not harrowing, keeping the details for later. Then just a lot of cuddles. If they ask - well, they are probably ready. You just have to be intuitive about that one.

Not nice, though, and I'm glad it went as well as could be hoped. That's how kids learn about life...

We now have another kitten.  He's very ginger with some light stripes on his  hind legs.  He's only 5 weeks old and I was worried about taking him from his mother and 4 sisters so soon.  Well, my plan has worked out and Rosemary, the mother of our kitten who got killed last Friday, is taking care of him.  It's so sweet, she feeds and cleans him like he was her own.  We call him 'Carrot' and he was very weepy for the fist day or so but now has completely settled in. 

My daughter is delighted, he loves been cuddled and played with and she's stopped mentioning the other kitten.

Kids and cats - how fickle are they?

Kids and cats - how fickle are they?

Very!!  I can only speak for the cats - but it's totally "cupboard love"!!  [:)]

Really glad things have worked out.  Carrot sounds like he's well & truly settled in, as part of the family!!  [:-))]

Lets see some piccies of carrot then please.............

glad it all went well in the end , every time you see this one near the car scream and hiss at it to scare it off it will soon learn to stay away from cars and your neighours will think you have gone mad but hey........................

What a brilliant name. [:D] Love it.

Yep, kids can be fickle... live for today... but that's not to say that Kitty won't be a memory filed away as a tiny sadness of childhood that will still be remembered in 30 years time... when she gets her kids their first kitten... [8-|]

Hi, Twinkle have just today joined the Forum and saw your message.  How heartbreaking that this has happened and you have all my sympathy.  I had a cat of mine dying years ago when my kids were about the same age as your daughter is now and I would advise you to tell her the truth as I did with mine.  You do not need to go into the details of how just say she was run over by a car.  I know it's not very pleasant, but at least you'll be able to comfort her once you've told her and it is also your chance to introduce her to the unpleasant but so much part of life topic that is death in a natural way and then subsequently you can answer any other questions she may come up with as a result of this.  Good luck to you.

Nadine

Thank you Nadine -  and welcome to the forum!

My daughter is definately at the the 'curious age' when it comes to death.  We were in the car the other day and she said, "Maman, when we die -  is life over forever and for everyone, and what colour is it?"[:-))]

I nearly drove into a ditch!!