What makes people do things in France they would never do at home?

Cerise

No I don't mean overdosing on pastis and dancing naked on the table of the local bar[:)]

I have just come back from the village where I had a chat with two ladies who have been here on holiday.  They told me that they had been to view a house with a view to buying as a holiday home and asked me what I thought.  Cautiously I asked if they knew that the house concerned was in a 'zone inondable'.  Yes they replied brightly but it only floods once every 30 years.  I pointed out as kindly as I could that in the 4 years we have been here the village has flooded badly twice - houses, shops etc full of foul murky water, the pompiers pumping everyone out for days.  Well, that is not what we have been told said they.  OK, go to the Mairie or the insurance office and ask I said.  At that point they said well maybe, but it wouldn't be that bad would it and there would only be a little bit of water and after all you live here.

We live just outside the village and on a hill at least 50 metres above the river level but there are 2 rivers and the walls of many houses in the village itself are marked with 'Crue' and the dates, and these markings are often to first floor height.  I really didn't know what else to say - so asked them whether they would buy a house in an area which regularly flooded in the UK.  No, they replied, but France is different isn't it?[8-)]

[quote user="Cerise"]

No I don't mean overdosing on pastis and dancing naked on the table of the local bar[:)]

I have just come back from the village where I had a chat with two ladies who have been here on holiday.  They told me that they had been to view a house with a view to buying as a holiday home and asked me what I thought.  Cautiously I asked if they knew that the house concerned was in a 'zone inondable'.  Yes they replied brightly but it only floods once every 30 years.......  [/quote]

As far as they are concerned it flooded last year and that's it for the next 30 years! by which time they will have had enough being to old to maintain the property or fallen out or they are about to reach the twilight zone... so... who cares what will happen in 30 years time!!...