Last chance saloon?

Loads of good advice here, I don't think I can add anything further apart from sharing with you my motto in life:

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time...
...it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

Remember this always.

PS I too am an only child with aging parents (well, parent actually - my mother died a couple of months ago at 86, truth be told it was a relief for both of us) so I know what you are going through. We too were considering moving to France but didn't in the end, not because of the parents, but we did have to think about them at the time and they and I all agreed that if we wanted to go we should, and not delay it just because of them.

Good Luck, whatever you choose to do in the end.

• 3 months later...

Diva Star asked:

How did it go? Any nearer to realising your dream?

I would have updated the story, but was aware of boring other people.

We had 10 days in Jura, a week in Burgundy, & a few days in the Somme, paying our respects as it were. The upshot of it all, is that our house is now up for sale, although it looks as though we shall be going it alone. My parents thoroughly enjoyed the trip (as usual) but still insist it's not for them.

What is really upsetting, is the fact that would seem to prefer the prospect of an old folks home in the UK to living a very comfortable life with us in France. Putting our proprty on the market does seem to have concentrated a few minds though, so nothing is cast in stone.

We know where we want to live, along the Pyrenees chain somewhere between Tarascon & Pau, and there are even properties on the market at present which would suit us.

Thanks for the interest,

Bedders

Hi Bedders

I don't think it's boring at all.

It's a shame that you haven't been able to convince your parents, but at least they have each other and they sound remarkable for their age.

I realise that you must feel torn, but I think everyone should follow their dreams ( within reason) after all, we are a long time dead!

Very best of luck and hope it all goes well, and it wouldn't surprise me if their holidays in France get longer and longer.

Hi Bedders,

Good luck with the house hunting.  Your parents have turned down the opportunity to move to France with you.  So now there should be no feeling of guilt for you.  However, I bet when you are moved and they become familiar with your home, it's surroundings and your new neighbours you will be doing more airport trips for them than you would ever had imagined.

Please keep us informed.