Land for grazing

Angie

We have been approached by a French family to graze their horses on our land - we do not live in France but have about 3 acres of pasture spare and of course this would keep the grass down.  We are very happy to accommodate them and although we would have been prepared to let them use it for free they have insisted on paying a peppercorn rent. 

Can anyone tell me if we allow this, for payment or free, whether we would experience any "tenant" problems or ownership claims in the future.  Currently the land is not fenced - if we asked them to fence it off for free use, or if we fenced it off and they paid rent, would this affect the situation?  Sorry to sound naive or paranoid but you hear so many stories!!  Thanks all.

If you want to retain the legal rights to this land you must NOT accept ANYTHING that could construed as rent from these folks. Even a pile of horse dung could be seen as payment here in a court case. Tenants rights are very strong and they could eventually end up with rights to the end of time over your land simply through you letting them use it. Personally I would say a firm no right now unless you never want it again. There have been many foreigners caught out this way.

We know of several people (English renting from French and French renting from English and even French renting from French)! It's normal and it saves the land becoming overgrown with brambles. Our English friends graze their horses and cows on rented land (and setaside which is allowed now) and pay their local farmer around 350 euros per year.

They all have contracts drawn up by the Notaire and they are usually for 3 years or 9 years but a 1 year rental is possible. The tenants have the responsiblity of fencing the field. Just get in touch with your Notaire and have a proper contract drawn up - in the meantime as Val2 says don't accept any rent.

Yes. Get a proper contract drawn up with a set time limit for renewal to protect yourselves. Don't forget that inheritance laws here can mean that even with the death of a person using another's land, it can be passed on to a heir quite legally to continue using.

With the recent posts on different forums I would not let them  if you think they are trying to pay a small token rent then you can bet your bottom euro that they are already on the bandwaggon and you have a good enough excuse "you would love to but your lawer has told you NO "   not very friendly I know but these areas are very complicated  

Really appreciate all your replies - I had suspected as much. I think, if they agree to fence off the land, we will go down the route of asking the Notaire for his advice (the one we used for the house purchase was excellent and speaks English) so he may be able to draw up some kind of rental contract.  Having horses will help keep the weeds and brambles down and the small amount of money would go towards paying the taxe fonciere!  Thanks all.

Bevvy

Just a word of advice, horses won't graze on weeds or brambles - they're very fussy (unless they're native ponies). If you're hoping your neighbours' horses will do this for you, dont! Perhaps they would be maintaining the land, as this would encourage grass to grow in place of weeds/brambles but the horses themselves won't. Sheep and goats will though, but that's another story! Bon chance.

Ewa

27 & Devon

Read the topic "land lease dispute" in this area posted on 2/10/2005.  As a farmer who rents land I would advise you to be extreemly cautious and certainly do not accept any form of payment or agree to anything untill you have checked the situation with a Notair.  Unless you are very very careful you could end up effectively renting out your land for life and giving up any sort of control.

Rgds,  Mike L