Hiring someone for House / Child minding

Lori

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Earning a Living Section (as it involves hiring someone) or here as the question is somewhat broad.

As many of you know, my husband is working overseas.  I live in Southeastern France with our almost 13 year old daughter.  Husband gets back here often, but not often enough.  We had been sending daughter to visit family in the U.S.A. while I travel to visit husband, but, due to many different reasons, this is not always possible.  Hence the question...

We have asked most everyone we know around here whether they know anyone who might be able to house / kid sit when I travel.  Many of our friends here would like to help, but have kids, family, work, etc. committments of their own and cannot take on the task.  I have found a couple of 19 year olds that are willing to do weekends, but I am looking for someone willing to do 2 weeks.  Have any of you ever hired someone for this type of work?  If so, how did you go about finding them?

I know there are so many people out there looking for work.  I have considered contacting some of the French Employment agencies out there, but am very hesitant as I am looking for someone to take care of two of the most precious things in my life, our house and child.  Trust is of obvious importance.  I have considered inviting someone to enjoy our apartment downstairs (2 bedrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, bath - fully furnished) and enjoy Provence while looking after our daughter and house at the same time, but again, I'm not sure where to start.

Ideally, I would like to find someone who could do this a few times per year.  I can be flexible with their schedules.

Have any of you done anything like this?  Can any of you offer me some pointers?  Also, if you know anyone in partciular who might be interested in doing this, could you PM me?

Thanks very much for any help offered.

Lori

Lori,

Who ever you employ, please  please make sure you check and double check all ref's etc, you are sailing in a very rough waters here.

I would strongly advise you to only seek a child minder through an legal agency with fully  trained and veted staff. the child your asking for a minder is only 13 years of age,

please have a rethink.

Does France have Domestic agencies/ Nanny agencies etc? Or how about a something like 'The Lady' magazine. Perhaps it would suit a lively retired teacher ?

Pun, I understand your concerns but from her posts here Lori has always seemed to be a very sensible, level headed, person who I am absolutely certain will take the correct precautions, and then some, before leaving her child with anyone.

If I spoke good French and didn't have a business to run, I'd be tempted [:D] (and yes I was a nanny and have looked after over 20 children and have references from Lords & Ladies too before you ask.) 

I know it wouldn't be an inexpensive option as you would have to pay for travel, but Universal Aunts (www.universalaunts.co.uk) based in London have over 80 years experience of providing family help of all kinds and have a  high reputation.  And I guess it might not work out much more expensive than paying return fares to the US for your daughter.  Otherwise if it is during the school holidays maybe one of the teachers in your daughter's school might be interested in earning some holiday money.  Or if you advertised in 'The Lady' as Russethouse suggests, you might be able to interest a retired teacher (or even one who is not retired if you stick to school holidays) in coming over from time to time - with the first visit being while you were there so you could be happy in your mind that they are suitable to be left in charge.  Perhaps she could even bring a partner and they could stay in your apartment for their initial visit. 

Hope you find someone suitable - good luck!

Val

Thank you all. 

Pun:  Believe me, I know how serious an issue this is.  The only reason I posted the question is to find out if anyone on the forum might have dealt with a similar issue.  I have absolutely NO intention of hiring someone I  know nothing about.  I am not crazy.  There are many people on this forum whom I trust.  The amount of information passed along here is fabulous.  When I mentioned the agencies, I was trying to find out if anyone on the forum had perhaps used one of the French Employment agencies for domestic help and if so, how the process worked or didn't work.

As to the agency in London.  I will take a look at the website.  I did think of perhaps using some of the French Camps that normally operate during the school breaks.  I am still considering this option.  I did order the brochure for the camps in the UK and they are fabulous, just REALLY expensive (1500 GBP and up for 10 day camps) - far more than return airline tickets to nearly anywhere.  The French camps seem to be considerably cheaper.  I did post a while back asking if anyone had used any of the French camps, but at that time, there weren't many replies.

I also thought that there may be people on the forum who might be interested themselves.  My daughter is not a difficult child to look after.  She enjoys people and chatting; and I am flexible on dates.  It can be during a school break or not - as long as the minder is able to take daughter to and from the bus stop in the village on school days. We live in a gorgeous area of Provence and have a large apartment in the lower part of our home where folks can make themselves quite comfortable.  And, no Pun, I would not just take any old person.  There are people on this forum who have seen our home and can answer questions if it ever got to that point.

Again, thanks to you all.  I appreciate all of your comments.  I am still open to further suggestions.

I took a look at the Universal Aunts website.  What an amazing organization.  If I lived in the UK, I would have to give them a visit.  I will try to research whether a similar such organization exists here in France.

I saw that they will do work anywhere in the world, but I would feel better if the organization (and person hired) were here in France.  I could visit the agency and interview interested parties in person.

Lori  -  here is perhaps another avenue to explore.  You were talking about activity camps in the UK and how they looked good but very expensive.  I think most of the well-established ones belong to an organisation called the British Activity Holiday Association (www.baha.org.uk/) and if you go into their website you will find a list of their members.   There seems to be quite a spread of prices and I see that some of them have programmes in France so it may be possible to join in to something nearer home and cut out the travel.  It might also be worth contacting the association's head office in Chester to see if they can recommend a similar organisation to their own in France.  There is a website (www.lescolos.com/) which is a gateway to many of the French activity camps but it would be good to know how they all measure up.

Hope something turns up soon.

Val

Thank you Val.  I did find the lescolos French Camps website - and several others.  They are more affordable than the UK camps I found.  I will take a look at the other website you offered, listing some more diverse UK camps.

I have found several summer camps I think my daughter might be interested in.  She is a bit apprehensive on camps as she wouldn't know anyone.  She went for 3 years in a row to a week long camp not far from Sault, here in the Vaucluse.  It was arranged by her primary school (when she was in primary school), so she knew most of the kids.  She liked it very much, but now she is in college and that particular camp is just for primary school aged kids.

There are several Sport camps in the Ardeche, but she is not so into Sports that she would want to do it every day for 10 days to two weeks.  A couple of the French camps I found offer Theater, singing, writing songs, making films, etc.  That would be right up her alley.  So, I am doing a lot of research on the subject.

I did get an email from a forum member who may be able to help out and I am very grateful to her.  Had my post been removed, I might never have heard from her.

Thanks to you all.

Hi Lori,

If you do go down this avenue and the person originates from the UK ask for a CRB check. (Criminal Records Bureau). Anyone working with children in the UK has to have one, teachers, social workers etc. HOWEVER, there is a downside. they are only a snapshot in time, in that the person is only definitely free of conviction at the moment the check was made. I believe they might have an expiry date, but I'm not sure. They didn't use to have one. I spoke with an ex-teacher here in France and she hadn't heard of that type of check up being done here, but maybe someone else might know better as it would still be worth asking for, if only for childminding/baby sitting.

Paul

Thank you Paul.  I will not be hiring anyone from outside of France.

Thorough checks will be made on anyone I might hire.  No male will be considered (and I am not implying that only males can be suspect). 

Don't worry folks, as I mentioned, I am aware we are talking about the most precious things in my life.  I am not about to leave them in the care of someone I have not thoroughly checked out.  If I don't find someone I can feel good about, no one will be hired.

I appreciate all your concerns for my daughter's safety.  This is my top priority too.