Helping others with medical things

Teamedup

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dick Smith"]"C'est une crise cardiaque", non?
[/quote]

Well it could be, but you mgiht not be sure, and you are not habilited to make a diagnosis, medics always seem to prefer to be the ones.... if you say malaise, that should be enough for them to prick up their ears...

Edit: goodness they won't let me use the word that can be used to describe male organ, but which means paying attention, so what do you do with your ears - clue?

[quote user="5-element"]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]"C'est une crise cardiaque", non?

[/quote]

Well it could be, but you mgiht not be sure, and you are not habilited to make a diagnosis, medics always seem to prefer to be the ones.... if you say malaise, that should be enough for them to prick up their ears...

Edit: goodness they won't let me use the word that can be used to describe male organ, but which means paying attention, so what do you do with your ears - clue?

[/quote]

This forum software is pathetic, isn't it?

I was told that it is better to up the consciousness level of the medics by saying 'crise cardiaque' so that they don't start assuming mal de foie, especially if you say "mal au coeur".

The Glossary of Medical Health and Pharmacy terms in French and English ( by Alan S Linndsey)

heart attack = as avoir un infarctus

Another useful book may be Hadley's French Medical Phrase Book  ISBN 1 872739 13 X

They also do ones on French legal terms, house purchase and renovation terms and motoring phrase book and dictionary.

TU, about: "to have a stroke": I remember always hearing it referred to as "avoir une attaque". Admittedly, it is not very specific!!! Sometimes people might say "avoir une attaque cerebrale"... anyway, this is the popular version as far as I know.

[quote user="Teamedup"][quote user="Jo Taylor"]

I got as far as the champignons, but told the pharmacist they were in my nettles, which I always confuse with my toes...

[/quote]

Nice one, like hot water bottle and wheel barrow.

[/quote]

Or, kettle and hot water bottle? (bouilloire and bouillotte?)

While on a visit to chez moi some years ago for a 'bricolage trip' (hic!) with a couple of mates, one of them developed a very large boil up on the inside of his groin, right next to his, ahem - bijoux de famille!

The boil became so painful and worried my friend so much I had to take him to the local doctor, a grizzled old character (now retired) who believed in the medicinal powers of a fine Brandy more than antibiotics!

While my friend was examined on the couch naked from the waist down, I had to translate for the Doctor who was gingerly prodding around the area of the boil. The Doctor was saying“Yes it is a very nasty boil, but I can prescribe a very effective ointment which will soon draw the poison and reduce the swelling.” To my shame, I translated this in English to my sweating, nervous friend as “The Doctor says it is très grave! You must come back tomorrow and have this lanced or it will spread to your b@!!s and there will be no hope but amputation!”  

At the look of shock-horror on my friends face, I could not hold out any longer and burst out laughing. So did the Doctor, who spoke good English and could understand every word!

I told my friend the truth, and relieved but muttering: “I’ll get you for this you g*t!”, he got dressed.  

The Doctor was still chuckling when he wrote out the prescription. When I asked him the cost of the consultation, he said: “Rien! You have given me good entertainment today!”

When I bump into him these days, the Doctor always asks “Has your nervous friend forgiven you?”!!!

Vive la France!