I predict -

I predict that Sarkozy will win by a handsome majority

and that the percentage turnout will drop dramatically from the first round - my reasoning being that as the bogeyman Le Pen is no longer in the running a large percentage of voters won't feel the need to vote and additionally a large number of voters just cannot choose between the two candidates so will not bother to vote

but I could be wrong - anyone agree? or not??

I feel it will be more close than you suspect, albeit, for me, it is a difficult one to call. From a very selfish perspective, I would not want to be affected by the increased taxes likely to come about if Royal is elected.

Tomorrow we will all know! 

I have done the deed.

Both candidates had policies I strongly agreed and disagreed with.

To force myself to make a decision, I rationalised my vote and based it solely on personal issues: 'how is he or she going to affect me ?'

I am making no prediction.

[quote user="Clair"]I have done the deed.

Both candidates had policies I strongly agreed and disagreed with.
To force myself to make a decision, I rationalised my vote and based it solely on personal issues: 'how is he or she going to affect me ?'

I am making no prediction.
[/quote]

Congrats Clair on publicly admitting the real reason why most vote as they do - what is best for me, me , me.

John

not

John, I sense sarcasm behind your post.

I did not make my choice light-heartedly and Mr Clair (who cannot vote) could testify to my dilemma over the past few weeks.

My head said one, my heart said the other and the two could not be reconciled.

At the end of the day, the only way for me to decide was to try and analyse, to the best of my abilities, what each candidate's policies would mean for me.

I could have chickened out of making the choice and just left the envelope empty, but I chose to be an active voter rather than an inactive one and leave the choice to everyone else.

I am not entirely happy about my choice and would have preferred to be carried away with the clear principles of one or the other. That would have made my choice so much easier.

But the worse thing is that I know I would not be any happier had I voted for the other candidate.

The first time Mitterrand was elected, I felt elated (youth hey!). Today I feel deflated.

Wrong Clair - I was not being sarcastic. I truly believe that most people vote with self interest in mind (I know that I did back in the days when I could be bothered) but few have the ***** to admit it.

I hope that you have backed the winner.

John

not

agreed, massive turnout of voters is all I keep reading in the online papers and it does suprise me - or maybe it shouldn't.......

I'm getting the distinct impression that many people are not totally happy with either candidate and I'm also getting the feeling that a large number of people are voting for Royal not because they want her for president but simply because they really don't want Sarkozy - so I may well be wrong about the lower turnout - we will see - personally I don't believe everything I read in the media!

Interestingly, my daughter this evening has told me that a number of her friends have voted but not chosen either candidate - so even students are not certain in their own minds. As a matter of interest does anyone know if with electronic voting you are able to vote but for neither candidate?

Personally if I could have voted I would have chosen .... erm, well, on the one hand Sarkosy and on the other hand Royal but I can think of good reasons to vote for either of them but I can also think of good reasons to vote for neither of them - typical Gemini I would say [:$]

Discussions with some english friends suggest that the french won't be able to overcome their resistance to having a woman telling them what to do. Not sure, myself, but on balance agree with them.  Pat.

Hi. In our region, an area where the Brits are buying up in the villages, the locals in those very villages all voted BIGTIME for Royal!.

I don't know if that means anything, but, he still did not win by a huge margin did he?.