Danish.....

I was not sure how to tittle this thread or where to post it so I put it here to hopefully get a wider audience.

I have a Danish neighbour who I have been helping with his paperwork with CPAM etc, yesterday we were talking and he asked about our TV licence...I explained to him that it is paid through the foncier/hab? and that one pays it automatically unless ticking the box to say that there was no ariel/tv in the house.

He replied by saying that he doesn't have to pay his licence here as he pays it in Denmark and it is covered through all of Europe, I told him that I had never heard of this system and asked him to make sure that he is correct as he has apparently not paid for his licence in France via the appropriate departement.

Can anyone out there shed any light on this situation.

He is wrong, I'm afraid. The "Europe-wide" coverage of his (or your) TV licence is for caravans and the like. Taxes for permanent installations are due to the authorities where the TV resides. If he still has a TV in Denmark, he will need a licence there, too.

This is exactly the same throughout Europe, and is not limited to TV receivers. It applies to anything capable of receiving TV (or satellite, or internet or cable) signals, although the mere existance of an aerial or dish does not mean that a licence is required - it is about the receiving equipment.

If a computer can receive TV, then you need a licence (not for the computer, for the property), same as the UK. The law makes no distiction about types of equipment - it refers to "apparatus".

Unless a TV is installed in a caravan, temporary or student accomodation and NOT powered from the mains, then you will need a licence in both the UK and France.