Tax Foncieres Increase

Ok - the plot slightly thickens (as they say !) in my case.

In addition to my house, I also have a barn and stables, for which we have planning permission to convert, and are currently in process of so doing, although not finished.

Anyway, I accosted my neighbour today (who in fact sold me the house) and showed her the bill, and she has told me that the increase on the bill is under the lots which encompass the barn and stables.   There is a small increase on the house we currently live in, but really a few euros.   Of course when I filled in the form, I did put the permis de construire number also for the barn and stables.

Anyway, what I had assumed was an increase of tax on our own small cottage (where the renovations are complete) now seems not to be the case.   Neighbour says, and here is where I would like advice, before I finally bite the bullet and try to call, that once the outside of a building is complete then the fonciere tax goes up, and once the inside is complete then the habitation tax goes up.   Is this right ?    Even if it is correct, then actually the bill is not correct, because although the outside of the barn is to all extents and purposes finished (new roof, veluxes, windows, doors), we haven't actually touched the stables yet.

I wanted to put some Velux windows in the roof although the actual attic conversion will not be ready for a while yet.

When I went to the mairie for the déclaration de travaux, I was told to say specifically that the roof windows were in preparation of the attic conversion, which would follow at a later date.

I was told at the time that the géomètre du cadastre (assermented guy who walks/drives around the area on behalf of the tax office) would see that the windows had been installed, refer the work to the déclaration de travaux or the permis de construire, and unless he could see that the work had not yet been finished, he would assume that the space was habitable and change the rating accordingly.

It could be that there has been an assumption made that the work is finished, although it isn't.

Bite the bullet, call them and tell them you are surprised at the increase and ask how have they arrived at the numbers...

I don't know enough about the process and the rules to really answer you but maybe they've assumed that the work on the barn and stables is complete.

What I wanted to say was that I understand that the completion of the outside of a structure is a trigger for tax which is perhaps why one sees so many barns and extensions totally unfinised and left in bare brick or block, it certainly looks an eyesore sometimes. 

Appreciate your responses.   Normally I do 'OK' on French, which is to say I get by.   In this case I am trying to track down my translator for when we purchased. so that I can be 100% sure of what I am asking and as to what they are responding.   Something tells me my French just may not be up for this particular conversation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!