Where to return to in UK?

David

Yes it does and I have had the "pleasure" of some in this region over the years who could not let go of their previous lives,missed working everyday,the pubs,cinema and shopping so they inevitably returned within the two year norm. A lot of folks come here to live because its the in-thing to do but they do poor research beforehand to the region chosen,buy huge estates they can never keep up with and are too isolated and this all takes it's toll especially when your nearest neighbour is a non-french speaking breton farmer taking the mick out of the rosbifs nearby. Now with the new regulations for residency coming in, folks will probably think twice before leaving the UK or go elsewhere they havn't started to cut out healthcare etc

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Val_2"]Now with the new regulations for residency coming in, folks will probably think twice before leaving the UK or go elsewhere they havn't started to cut out healthcare etc[/quote]Do you think so. I wonder just how many people decamp UK without the slightest idea of what they're letting themselves in for. I seem to recall that "Place in the Sun" or some such programme ran a few episodes on people for whom it had gone wrong and the level of ignorance of some of the subjects was frightening.[:-))]

I was going to add here that I wouldn't dream of moving to a new country with school age children unless I had a reliable job lined up, sure of health provision etc. Then I remembered - when our 4 were still at home, young teens, we were all lined up to go to Australia - passed the interviews, medicals etc. We would have had some capital for Eddie to set up a TV business but nothing more definite than that. We changed our minds at the last minute. It must be the energy and confidence of youth that carries them through. Though I think it would have been easier to make a go of it in Australia than in France.

[quote user="pale pink specs"] 

another with Dawn French called Jam and Jerusalem I think... and it was filmed near my sister's house in mid Devon... a small town called South Molton...

[/quote]

It was North Tawton, not South Molton... and it was hilarious if you knew the area; I did think at the time that a lot of it wouldn't have made sense to 'vurriners'.