opinions of Mansle 16 please

I would be very grateful for some opinions of Mansle in 16 - from the point of view of living close by and it being the nearest town.  A few tell me that La Rochefoucauld is a better town with more wideranging facilities and that it is more lively in winter but those whose opinions I already have a) do not live in either area or b) have a vested interest in singing the charms of this area of the Charente.  I have visited both towns and the immediate area twice recently but living somewhere would be very different from visiting so - if you live near either, could you please let me know what you think?

Many thanks

Virginia

I can't tell you about Mansle as I don't live there although have some contacts who live in the countryside and like anywhere else rural in France it is quiet in the winter. If you post this in the Central France section you may get some useful response.

"A few tell me that La Rochefoucauld is a better town with more wideranging facilities and that it is more lively in winter"

During the winter months any town will be more lively than being stuck out in the countryside or even living in a small village. 

"...........but living somewhere would be very different from visiting"

Yes indeed and most people will agree that winter visits to the chosen area are necessary when house hunting.

Bonne chance et  bon courage [:)]

Thanks very much for your reply Cendrillon and I will post in the section you suggest.  It's more a "feel" for the area I am trying to get as I know the Dordogne very well and have only recently turned to considering the Charente.  Visits tell me that I love the countryside between Mansle and La Rochefoucauld but an area is more than just the countryside.  Totally agree about winter visits - I came last year in December and plan the same again.

thanks again

Hi

I live within 6Km of Mansle. I have lived here for 8 years and love it.

I agree that rural France is fairly quiet during the winter. But you have Angouleme within 25Km which should have everything you need to keep you occupied till the sun arrives again [8-|]

I cannot comment on La Rochefoucauld as a place to live. I have visited a few times and always found it quieter than Mansle, although obvously it it a lot bigger.

I am not a "townie" so to me a good night out is sitting on the patio watching the wildlife..[blink]

Anything further you need to know drop me a line and I will try and help

Leon [;-)]

I live about 5 km from Mansle and 10km from La Rochfoucauld,so between the two.

Mansle does not have much in the way of shops 2 supermarkets a couple of Boulangeries,Butchers a hotel 2 restaurants .It is prety quiet but so are all villages.

If you want activity you need to go to Angouleme.

La Rochfoucauld is larger and is busier during the day but like many french villages/towns the pavements get rolled up at night.