Best way of sending precious things to UK

Kitty

I have been sorting out my grandfather's bits and pieces and have a large number of precious photographs, some of which are in unremovable frames, to send to various relatives in the UK.

Do I wait until I go back to the UK (not for sometime) as I am worried about the security of the post?  Need I be worried?

If I am to send them from France, what is the best and most secure way?  In the post office, there seems to be an array of boxes in which to send things -are these better to buy than stout supermarket-produced envelopes?

In the belief that these items are irreplaceable rather than financially valuable I would wait until they could be taken or collected by hand.

This is not meant as any sort of slur upon postal workers here or there but mistakes happen, even in well run organisations.

John

not

Yes, Iceni, they are precious only to the recipients - photographs full of memories and happy moments.  The problem is that it will be some time before I shall be able to deliver them by hand : one of the relatives lives in Canada, for example.

Just because I earlier used the word courier I don't necessarily mean a single person door to door as that would be very expensive.

I once used DHL in France to get a package to the UK. They have an English language web site if you Google DHL France.

Think about grouping photos together where the people you are sending to could then distribute them among a small number of other people living close together.

Most international parcel services will have a branch or several in most parts of the World so try Googling those names that you can think of. All of them offer traceability of packages so security of delivery will be high.

I would certainly not trust the post between France and UK.  No idea where so much goes astray (i.e. no idea if its France of UK where the problem lies) but I have found loads and loads of post between the 2 countries just never arrives.

Recorded deliver makes little difference - just that when it does not arrive, you can prove to them that it did not arrive - but by then you already know that.

Ian