Formula 1 motels - late arrivals

Matelot

Hello there!

Has anyone had any problems with getting access to the Formula 1 motels in the wee hours?

I shall be going over to France next month but my crossing is late in the evening and by the time I arrive at my planned stop for some much needed beauty sleep,[;-)] it will be about 1 or 2.am.

I have a motel in mind and plan to pre-book online to get my reservation number. However, the last thing I want to do after a long day is to stand there like a lemon punching numbers and no access. [:@]  

It all looks straightforward in principal, but with my luck.....

Thanks for any replies! 

During my travels round the med coast, I  used both Formula 1, Premier Class and others of the same type, where you can only book by using a C/C in the machine after the reception has closed. I am not a fan of Formula's as like the previous poster I don't like having to leave the room for a pee etc, however, I have never had a problem with the coding to get into any of these type of hotels or room.

If you are travelling at a busy time you might find that the cheap hotels close to the main routes are full by 11 am, so you might be better with a Campanile, Ibis  or similar that has a later reception.

You will be OK if you have booked in advance. You just use the card you booked with to get a code and gain access.

I think the F1s are fine if you just want somewhere cheap to get your head down for a few hours, en route, and the chance of a basic breakfast. And if your French is up to it, you can always phone to cancel without penalty (by 7pm, I seem to recall, but check) if you find your itinerary has changed or you have found somewhere nicer/more convenient to stop.

I would say they are not ideal for families except that when we stopped at them with our young children, they thought they were brilliant - especially the auto-loos. Perhaps it says something about the kind of holidays I arranged that the highlight was an Formule1 toilet.

We came to France on a camping holiday about fifteen years ago and after the first two campsites had messed up our reservations leaving us sleeping in laybys, we booked into a F1.  We found them clean and friendly, and above all, cheap so we abandonned the camping and just used the hotels for the rest of the holiday.

The communal breakfasts were fine and encouraged interaction with the other guests.  At one hotel, we found ourselves all sitting on the forecourt one nice evening on garden chairs drinking from a bottle of brandy provided by one of the sales reps who was staying there....

For more excitement on your holidays Alan, be a devil and stay in a red room, go to the toilet in the yellow zone and take a shower in the blue zone.  Result total chaos all round[:D] 

Must agree with SD that the breakfasts I had at the Formula type hotels were very good, but the other downside apart from the loo in the middle of the night of the Formula 1s is they do  not have a restuarant for an evening meal, although most I stayed at had a Campanile or similar close by.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I must say that I prefer Campanile if arriving early evening. Ensuite bathroom, decent restaurant and nice rooms. However, I shall only need somewhere to 'crash out' for the night and Formula1 is just the job. There's only me and me doggie to worry about as 'Senior Management' is staying at home.[;-)] [:-))] [B] [B] [B]

Formula1 may be a bit basic, but they are clean with plenty of hot water. Having served in Her Britannic Majesty's Royal Navy for several years, I can assure you I have slept in places that are a lot worse! [+o(]