Rory and Paddy - helpplease!

I tried to tape "Rory and Paddy's Great Adventure" last week - as I was born and brought up on the Cheese Roll, I wanted to see their take on cheeserolling. 

But the video threw a wobbly and we didn't get it.  Did anyone watch/tape it?  Was it any good?  Could I borrow the tape?

Chrissie (81)

Thanks for that - have just finished watching the relevant bit (fortunately at the beginning of show).  Are you from the same parts, plod?  I was brought up in one of the houses overlooking the hill.  Funnily enough, I can only remember hot, sunny cheeserolls.....

Chrissie (81)

The shin-kicking bit is from here, Dovers' Hill Olympicks outside Chipping Campden.

We have a load of very unusual sports including the shin-kicking. It is great. Afterwards, we have a torchlight procession from the hill down to Chipping Campden where there is a night time fair etc. Great when it's not raining!

It's true that the steepness of the Cheeseroll hill doesn't come across until you are either right at the top or the bottom of it.  I know in recent years the hill itself has been closed to casual climbers in order to limit the erosion of the surface, but I was shocked to see the state of the muddy gunnels (which the two TV heroes cravenly slid down.)  I always wanted to go in for a race but was threatened with dire punishments (this would be presumably on top of the broken neck or whatever.)

Chrissie (81)

would just like to admit - i have never heard of rory or paddy.

am willing to be convinced that they are brilliant (both of them) and I could possibly eventually be a number one fan. could someone send me the link to a you tube or similar so i can find out what i have been missing?

signed - an old fogey

Are we all here because this area is (OK superficially) like the Cotswolds?  Nice stone-housed villages, hills and woodlands.  I can't imagine myself being happy in an area full of vineyards - that's more for people from Herefordshire..... (thinking of those endless rows of hops[:D] )

Chrissie (81)

We didn't consciously choose this area because it resembles the Cotswolds, but one day it came up in conversation and there are, as you say, a lot of similarities. There are, however, a lot of vineyards around Gaillac!

Paddy is the side kick of Peter Kaye, in Phoenix Nights he and Paddy were the bouncers.

Plod, I too still love the area and am going back next week , I'm lucky enough to still have some work in the area so have a good excuse and someone to pay my fare!