returning to UK

mooky

I suppose its stuff like health. Someone told me today that I wouldn't be entitled straight away to apply for NHS membership again. I have looked in gov webs sites, but couldn't find anything. I want to spend a few weeks making a decision. Working out the advantages/disadvantages. I came over here alone. My four sons and families are all in UK therefore a tick in UK box. I shall look and inwardly digest everything before I make a decision. I have been here five years now, and as lonely as the day I arrived. I need more stimulation hence, further education, volunteer work, church activities are all ticks for UK. I like being here, but my part of the France is a cultural oasis.

Whilst I'm sure that could be the letter of the law I know that my OH went back for a few months last year and saw a doctor on day one.  He went to his old practice, no problem.  He was working and paying NI and he saw no evidence of any checks as to whether he was or was not eligible.  They didn't even ask for his NI number!

I think that the intention is to have more checks but in reality the receptionist just puts your name in the book and the doc takes a look at you, might be different if you are seriously ill I guess...

Hi,

If you are really intending to go back to the U.K. on a permanent basis, is there any reason why you couldn't register with a U.K. doctor using a U.K. address and keep  your French address as a holiday home. If  you have a French house to sell, you would then have a date to work with, which might keep you in the 'spirit' of the law.

Whilst it may not be ideal you may be covered for any future health problems.

[quote user="oscar"]My niece has just returned to the UK after several years in Oz and has to wait six months before she is covered by NHS.  However, if you're over retirement age you should go straight back in.[/quote]

That's disgusting. No doubt she would have been paying into the system right up until she left the UK (as I had done). I would expect the same rights as any other UK citizen if I ever returned to the country.

I think there is something on the direct.gov. uk web site about returning to the UK, and also maybe on Department of Work and Pensions site.  Sorry, I've been looking at a lot of sites recently, but for a move the other way, but I have certainly seem stuff about returning on one of these.

Full details of the healthcare arrangements for people returning to the UK to live can be found on the Department of Health website.  The page you need to read is [url=http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074376]HERE[/url].

Under the current Regulations, anyone who is taking up or resuming permanent residence in the UK is entitled to free National Health Service (NHS) hospital treatment in England.  If your intention is to live permanently in the UK you will be exempt from hospital charges from the date of your arrival in the country but you should expect to be asked to prove your intention and that you are legally entitled to live here. This exemption applies to your spouse, civil partner and children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if they are living here with you on a permanent basis.

The Regulations place a responsibility on individual hospitals to determine whether, in accordance with the Regulations, a patient is liable to be charged for treatment or not.  In order to establish entitlement, hospitals can ask you to provide documentation that supports your claim that you intend to live permanently in the UK.  It is for you to decide what to supply, however examples of evidence could include:

• documentation to prove you are entitled to live in the UK such as British Passport, permission from the Home Office;

• documentation that proves your intention is to reside here permanently such as sale of goods/property overseas, receipts showing shipping of goods, looking for work, application for benefits, children are attending school.