Sweeties

Keni

Well, we're still doing songs,  and food, so I thought why not old sweeties -I am sitting here having snaffled a pack of my daughters swizzler fizzers eating away and having also downed some parma violets....... anyone remember pineapple cubes....

I saw flying saucers in a super market in france once.

I liked black jacks ...... and rubarb sticks .... and sour apples , they then brought out sour apples with custard ....

who remenbers the ditty:....

Apple tart makes you fart ... custard powder makes it louder [:)] we always use to say that when eating those sweets

Hi,

I miss Old English Spangles, Pear Drops and Prickly Pear Drops (Sherbert in the centre) and many of the Fry's, or Rowntree products that have been discontinued by their present owners Cadbury's and Nestle.  All of my favourite chocolates have disappeared from Nestle's 'Quality Street', now a bland collection of chocolates no different from any other.  Sad to see the demise of Rowtree/MacIntosh.

As an aside, flying saucers are still available, my Grandchildren love them.

You ht look at http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/ which we use quite a bit for cooking stuff you can't get here unless you pay an arm and a leg (Bisto, Oxo cubes etc) They also do meat like real English bacon (shipped via Brakes Brothers France) and have a wholesale department. They charge £9.99 for a 30kg pallet and their prices are the same as the supermarkets back in the UK. We have just done our Christmas order, cake, xmas pud, crackers etc. I had two big bars of Cadbury's fruit and nut, I know its not classed as chocolate in France but who cares. I also had some Hula Hoops, love them to.

Normal disclaimer, nothing to do with company just use them.

Thanks Will - I have made a note of that one, the price of the sweet tobacco scared me though. When my mum had her sweet shop in the 60's she sold the tobacco in small quarter packets, roughly how they are being sold now, but they cost 6d - or 2.5p to you young 'uns. Now it's £1.77p, but I reckon that's inflation.

Sweet shrimps were 8 for 1d when we had the sweet shop, then it was 4, then 2 for 1p now 2p each!!!