Crafts for left handed daughter

Kitty

Does anyone know whether there are any crafts that left handers can do?  I can't teach my 16 year old daughter knitting or crochet because she is left handed. 

It would be wonderful if she could spend a weekend at someone's house being taught.  I would pay for the tuition.  PM me if you are interested (my email link doesn't work).

Are there any left handed craft workshops in France?

I am left-handed and have no problem whatsoever with any crafts. My mother taught me to knit, so I knit like a righthander; she also taught me to crochet but here I do it with my left hand. She was just patient and sat with me while I practiced until I was confident on my own. I also enjoy spinning, embroidery, bobbin lace and tapestry. For these it does not matter which hand you use! Ask her what she would be keen to do and go for that one.

I well remember at school being forced to write with my right hand, it didn't work, of course. Thank goodness those days have gone.

An interesting fact is that the majority of top sports people in many disiplines, are left handed.

As regards crafts I would think most could be mastered with a bit of work.

I'm lefthanded and i knit in the normal way - like any righthanded person. There is absolutely no problem.

Knitting doesn't really require any extra dexterity by either hand, does it? or does it?

of course you could always sit opposite your daughter so that she learns these crafts in a mirror fashion.

Perhaps it is the daughters age that is the problem.

I am right handed but found out after many years that I tie my shoes in the left handed way, it turns out that the woman that looked after me after school while mum worked was left handed.

Problems or obstacles that beset us oldies or ado's just dont exist when you are very young.

I have just tried and after several attempts  managed to tie my shoelace in the right handed fashion and then I managed to do it once again right handed but with my eyes shut . Anything is possible if you have the will.

Being left handed as such is no barrier to doing craft work - my sister is left handed and knits OK (but that is surely only a question of which hand you use to wrap the wool round with?  She had more difficulty with crochet, but then I've known right handed people have difficulty with that.  There cannot be that many crafts in which handedness is really a problem, I think.  I agree she needs to find one which suits her - for example I prefer crochet, my sister prefers knitting.  There are also many other craft based things (art etc) in which handedness cannot be a stumbling block - only talent!

[quote user="Bugbear"]I well remember at school being forced to write with my right hand, it didn't work, of course. Thank goodness those days have gone. An interesting fact is that the majority of top sports people in many disiplines, are left handed. As regards crafts I would think most could be mastered with a bit of work.[/quote]

Oh bugbear... I was forced to use my right hand too... it left me very clumsy as a child and I broke so many bones from falling over and not being able to break my fall correctly! [:@]

Cathy... I learnt to knit and play the guitar but both with my right hand... due to my experiences at school I chop and change a bit now with sports and stuff... I hope your daughter finds something she likes, as someone else said... I think it just takes a bit more time...  [:)]

Thank you everyone for your contributions, including your PMs.  Bubbles – I like your idea of “mirroring” with me sitting opposite her.

My daughter has really tried to get the knack of right handed knitting and crochet, including a friend of mine having several goes with her as well.  There is a will but not a way.

She is good at two-handed crafts.  For example, she makes ‘scoobydoo’ key fobs at the rate of 5 per week but there are only so many people who want them.

She has been talking about spinning (one of Dorothy’s suggestions).  Does anyone know of any residential courses on spinning in France?

Any other suggestions, especially two-handed crafts, will be very welcome.

Hello just a few thoughts

Have you tried the little (I think its called ) french knitting dollies the ones where you make a tube of knitting by hooking it over the top.

Why are you trying to get your daughter to knit or crochet right handed if she is left, i have a reader digest book that shows both right and left handed ways, i also have a right handed friend who apart from writing right handed does everything else left handed, if yo look i am sure wyou could find a craft book that explains how to do things left handed as well she will be much more confident if she does things her natural way.

There is a mail order company which supplies many craft bits and pieces. www.vbs-hobby.fr .A couple of years ago I was able to order a book which gave instructions and ideas for the metres and metres of 'french' knitting, that you never know what to do with!

No I'm not sad, just waiting for my 3 grandchildren to get a bit older.[:)]

[quote user="Mme poivre"] Why are you trying to get your daughter to knit or crochet right handed if she is left[/quote]

I've been trying both right handed and left handed with her but if she does it left handed, it's very difficult for me to correct any mistakes (e.g. dropped stitches).  Right handed has proved impossible.

I don't know of any residential courses for spinning in France, but it is not a difficult thing to pick up. There would be an expense in buying a wheel and either buying wool already carded ready to spin (or the slow way with a pair of hand carders). It is not a difficult thing to do. I taught a 13 year old visitor to spin which she picked up very quickly - but she did spend a week practicing before leaving! This forum might help and it has an English section:-

http://forum.tricofolk.info/forum

Cathy - Are there any crafts that left handers can't do?!  It's a question of finding the right craft for the person not for

the handedness.

Basket weaving, silversmithing, beading, ceramics, print making, scrap booking, card making, weaving, silk painting, dress making, paper making, decoupage, calligraphy, collage, embroidery, tatting, lace making, rug making, applique, patchwork, glass painting, stained glass, wood turning, black smithing...

Being sinistral myself, I knit and crochet as a right-handed person. I found it a challenge to learn to knit at the same age as your daughter but I got there in the end and still knit occasionally. Crochet was much easier for me to learn.

For calligraphy a left-handed italic nib is much easier to use
(the angle is cut in the opposite direction).  Also, for intensive/precision scissor work left-handed scissors are a boon.

There is useful information, tools and books on this site:

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/

Patient endurance attaineth to all things. [:)]  Bonne chance.

[quote user="Âme"]

For calligraphy a left-handed italic nib is much easier to use
(the angle is cut in the opposite direction).  Also, for intensive/precision scissor work left-handed scissors are a boon.

[/quote]

That has prompted my memory - yes, my LH sister had a left handed nib on her pen - it made her writing much better in the days when you had to use fountain pens.   And she does have left handed scissors - which when I have to use them, makes me realise how difficult it is when only the right handed scissors are available.

As Ame says, and as my sister has proved, it is a matter of adaptation and practice.