Tax carbon.

Chancer

Does anyone have any concrete details on this new tax that will soon be imposed?

I have had one ear on the TV whilst on this forum and have unless I am mistaken gleaned the following info.

It will cost all of us €17 per tonne of CO2, whatever that means in practice.

It will be levied on all fuels except electricity.

They showed a guy filling his cuve de fioul with mazout and I am sure that they said it will cost 40% moe next year, I do hope that I misheard.

1 tonne of carbon is the equivalent to 7000 kms travelled by car, so would that be my low emission model or something that already carries a €5k malus?

The revenue from this tax will be redistributed equitably, - yeah right and I just saw Elvis in our chip shop [:P]

Does anyone have any figures? I guess most of us will be concerned with the increase in cost of road and heating fuel and perhaps consumer goods. Please correct me on anything that I have misheard.

For my part I will be holding my breath and not exhaling until I go to the UK to reduce my liability.

'Le petit prince is saving his planete' - love it!

It's potentially a high cost for all who use anything other than electricity, and will affect everyone through rising costs in the shops. I support some measures, but think the first step should be the EU setting a good example by cutting back on their parading between venues at huge expense and use of fuel!  

Jo 

My back-of-fag-packet calculations reckon the new tax is approx (very approx) 5 cents per lire on benzine/gazole and similar on heating fuel. A bit more for coal I think.

So, wood/electric/solar is the way to go?

I actually don't mind having to pay this tax if it really does go towards better technology and not just into general government coffers.

I dont use mazout so dont know the price and as I said I only had half an ear to the telly, but I am sure that they said that the guy had fait le plein with 1000 litres costing €220.

5 cents a liter on that would be really noticeable. Although doesnt correspond to their predicted 40% rise, perhaps it will be going up anyway.

Is heating oil really that cheap now or did I mis-hear?