Stere help!

Bronwen

At the moment unless I start felling three time faster  I have calculated I will be over run with trees just before I pop my clogs which seems a good way to go. trying to be buried like a Greek Goat immediately under a newly planted grape vine.

Red Dragon you clearly have not read enough Thomas Harris - Hannibel would have attached a couple of the power lines to the errant delivery man

• 2 weeks later...

If you live in the country, why not ask your local farmer, not if she has any wood to sell, but rather ask her if he knows anyone who does have wood to sell.  It seems to be a point of etiquette.  Ask about bûches.

Round here (northern Charitime) it goes for around €44-46 per stère.  That is delivered, 1m long logs.  Stack it yourself.

More if you want it cut (I cut mine to 33 cms as the 50 cm ones made the place far too hot).

If you have a trailer, it will be cheaper to collect.

Stacking is excellent exercise.

Cheers

Ernie

I asked our neigbours and got put on the local farmer's route.  10 Stere cut to 50cm for €450 delivered onto a huge pile on my courtyard. We were told to order in June to be sure we were on the Sept delivery.

The farmer got as close as he could but it was still 15 yards to where we stacked it.  My forearms still ache 10 days later from gripping the logs in my fingers, but very proud of my first "stack".

On the basis of one log burning stove for a weekend every 5 weeks or so I think I over-ordered a tad.  Still its not eating anything.

Had been burning lots of offcuts and old shed wood last winter, so haven't bought any for 2 years now. But I used to buy about 3 steres a winter, each costing about €35 a stere, cut to 50cm and included stacking.

But this year again, I'll be burning old shed wood. My neighbour demolished his sed a month or so ago and I've been busy cutting it all down to small lengths and I think I'll get at least this winter out of it easily. Am only planning on using 2 rooms mainly this winter, my upstairs salon with the firelace and bedroom (plus the kitchen, but that heats itself up when cooking). Don't really need to use the rest of the house, so that must make me really green!

My electricity bill is going to be so small this year.