Buches 'Compressed wood'

Thebiga

We have used buches which I think are sort of sawdust like material, highly compressed.  They don't take up as much space as wood, burn brightly and quickly but fade to nothing quite quickly, but great for perking up a dying fire for example whilst the new wood gets going, or for creating instance heat if required (if eg the poele needs more heat to cook by).  Can be bought in bricos, and relatively easy to find.

We use them to supplement the wood rather than instead of, but in a smaller wood burner they might be ok.  They have kept us going when we have run out of real wood, but I wouldn't want to depend solely on them (but we have two large poeles which would eat them very quickly).

Best to try them and see how you get on with them.

Thats right clair. The blocks I am looking at are supposed to be the same as 3-4 pieces when it comes to burning. the ones I am looking at are made from hard wood only, compressed and the natural sap sticks it all together. These are 220 euros for 500kgs and each buche is 1.96kgs. It's ok going and getting some at the brico and giving them a go but I don't think they will be as good as the ones I am looking at.

Its just we have a small amount of wood for the start of the winter and we want to get something more to see us through. we have a small wood burning fire with doors on the front that just heats our kitchen and dries the clothes etc in the winter. If we were to go for wood I really don't know how many stere's to get and was thinking maybe 4?

Anyway I look forward to any more information.

Thanks to the two of you.