Wood or charcoal?

mint

I have a bois-charbon oven which I love.  Just cooked a batch of scrumptious cheese scones in it this afternoon.

Only problem is, the space for logs is quite small and we have logs specially cut (30cm) and OH splits them to enable them to burn properly.

In a prolonged period of cold like this one, it's not always been easy to get enough small logs that are dry enough to use.

Does anyone know the relative costs of using wood or charcoal, whether the one burns better than the other, whether the heat obtained is comparable, etc.

Any relevant information would be wonderful, especially as I know nothing about using charcoal for heating or cooking.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I know nothing about using charcoal for heating or cooking.

[/quote]

That's because cooking with charcoal is man's work!

Look at the fantastic job we do of BBQ'ng so charcoal must burn a lot hotter than wood co's we blacken all we incinerate on the BBQ [:D]

Surely charcoal is going to cost an awful lot more?

We split logs for our Rosierre cooking range thing and place them alongside in the fireplace they are pretty dry anyway but this makes sure they  have been indoors for a day or two before use.

Without doubt the best wood we have found for the stove is Ash it splits down easily and the chain saw likes it too. cut the logs to the desired length and store them unsplit for a while then will have a couple of log splitting sessions in the autumn to get a lot of wood ready to go then its just a case of once a week topping up the unused end of the log pile.

I love all the physical messing about with log fires even although they are awkward and messy at times.......'Man make fire' is it's own reward sometimes!

We have had an Esse woodburning range installed, and after initial problems it works very well.

The maximum log size that the firebox will take is 40cm, whereas our Jotul woodburner accepts 50 cm.

We invested in a scie-a-bouche (log sawing bench, with a circular saw). It wasn't cheap, but it's been worth its weight in gold (together with the 4.5 tonne log splitter).

Our wood is supplied by the cord in 50 cm lengths, so I just lop off 10cm for the Esse, and use the offcuts in it as well.

For quick restarting, if necessary, we just stick a couple of logs in the bottom oven overnight, when put in the firebox next morning they ignite pretty quickly.

Chris

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Beware burning coal in an unsuitable hearth / firebox......It burns much hotter and can split a stove if not designed for the fuel. Some stoves can be adapted with a firebrick liner however this in turn reduces the available grate[/quote]

sweet 17 has already said it was a dual fuel, Bois et Charbon oven.

Have a look on pages jaunes for "charbonnier" or it may be available in small sacks, in the brico sheds at a cost, no doubt.

Thank you, Syntax, I think it's got to be worth a try if it's less hassle for the stoker of the house (poor OH)!

Big Mac, thank you too for your concern.  And yes, there is a plate that you can put in for coal and take out for logs.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Thank you, Syntax, I think it's got to be worth a try if it's less hassle for the stoker of the house (poor OH)!

Big Mac, thank you too for your concern.  And yes, there is a plate that you can put in for coal and take out for logs.

[/quote]

Sweet,

If by 'plate' you mean a solid plate that covers the fire grate bottom, I think you may have to have it in place for wood and removed for coal. Coal needs air from below whilst wood does not.

No, Steve, it's a large rectangular plate that sits diagonally in the fire box and, I think, acts like a chute to sort of funnel the lumps of coal to the bottom where they can burn.

Don't forget, it's not a stove, it's an oven............hope I'm making sense but I am a mere woman, see?[:P]