TAXES FONCIERE query

jennib

We purchased our property in March and have just had the taxe fonciere bill forwarded to us from previous owner. Can't make head or tail of bill as speak very little French, it says 2010 on heading so presume it is for this year, but as we have only just received it am wondering if its next years? If it is this years are we liable to pay the whole amount?

Whilst the Taxe d'habitation does follow the Ist January rule; the Taxe foncière does not. The particular payment provisions will have been established during the sale process. In any even the taxe foncière which you have received is payable ot later than 15/10/10 and covers the complete calendar year.

The seller has probably been astute enough to make you liable for the whole year; although pro-rata arrangements are often depending on time of occupancy.

Whose name is on the pro-forma in the Vos references section as the legal debtor, you or the seller.

Definitely this years.

If you look on the papers you signed when you bought the house, it will state as to whether you will have to pay from the date you bought the property, days get counted. ie if you bought on the 1st of April you will have signed to pay 275 days, so the bill would be divided by 365 and mulitply by 275 and that is what you owe.

However, if you have nothing on your paperwork, then this is their bill, unless you are feeling charitable. They cannot make you pay it unless you have signed to do so.

What I would do is this:

1)Check your paper work and if you have signed up on the dotted line and do owe for it.

2) contact the notaire and make sure that you have not already paid this amount based on last years bill when you bought the house. (When we sold, we got this money included in the house sale but only based on the previous years bill. Notaire said that this was how it was)

3) Return the bill to the vendor with a cheque for the amount that you owe (if you owe). I would mark all the details of the bill's account number along with number of days owed on the back of the cheque.

4) Take a photo copy of the front and back of the cheque and a photo copy of the bill too before sending.

XXXXXXX Keep photocopies of every last thing in France and always copy the front and back of cheques you send if you have put any details on the back of the cheque. Too late once gone, banks refuse to let the drawer see the back of the cheque later, which I found out much to my cost.