Solar Heating and wind power

Joe

Has anyone any info on the above.I have been told there are small wind turbines that will fix to the chimney and small solar systems that can up the temp in swimming pools by a couple of degrees. Are grants are available?Cheers.

Cannot comment on the wind turbines but there are no small solar hot water systems that will make any appreciable difference to a swimming pool as the area dissipating the heat (the pool) is way bigger.  Pool solar heating needs to be a considerable size and the pool must have good insulation too.

Sorry about the pool.I meant a very small pool.Is it possible to buy small solar panel systems for heating in my case a small greenhouse?In the past I have used gas in late winter/early spring.Cost in UK was close to 100 pounds.

For a small pool maybe a few solar mats would do. Lots on the web about this, just Google solar mats. For a green house I guess a heat store would be needed so you could have a flat glazed collector outside connected to a metal water tank of several 100 litres inside the green house. If the panel could be positioned below the tank then you would not need a pump but rely on thermosyphon action. Easy to make using copper pipes on a sheet of metal or an old flat radiator. Again lots of info on the web about this. Examples of different types here. http://www.squidoo.com/thermosyphon-solar-water-heater  This idea looks interesting, no water involved. http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Greenhouse-Heat-Sink.htm  ...................JR

At the end of the season, the bigger hypermarkets often sell off solar mats for pools quite cheaply.  Last year, my Auchan had a 7M2 mat for €50.  I have no idea how effective (it would need a pump) or how durable but it might be a starting point.

Little windmills are of almost no use whatsoever - just do the maths!