French ovens -- what is the difference between "CATALYSE" and "PYROLYSE" cleaning?

hstraf

Hello,

I need to purchase an open for our home in France... but I do not understand exactly what is the difference between these two cleaning types.

Can someone explain or point me to a webpage that explains the difference between "catalyse" and "pyrolyse" cleaning for ovens?

(Also, if anyone has a favorite website that sells ovens at a good price.. please let me know. I'm looking for an oven in the same style like this:

http://bit.ly/oEF17w

(Except my wife wants one with an electric oven instead of gas.)

Thanks!

I have a pyrolising electric oven and its great, you only have to wipe the residue ash off when its cold. However be aware that it gets very hot, you must not leave the shelves/trays inside whilst the cycle is on and the door locks automatically. Its good in the winter to do a long cycle as it keeps the kitchen nice and warm. My previous gas oven was the other sort, didn't work that well either and I usually ended up cleaning it again. If you can afford, go for the best you can get,buying cheap appliances is a false economy in many circumstances.

I also seem to have inherited a pyrolysing oven - but I have no instructions ..... and cannot find any in spite of looking on the manual sites etc.

So, could anyone tell me what I do, as I'm sure the oven could do with a clean ..... though maybe I will leave it until later in the year, when it is cooler, it would be good to know what I should do, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

For instructions, what make and model is it? Does it have a screen? If son pyrolising comes up as one of the programmes andthen it recommends what you put it from economy to a full two hour deep clean and all you do is turn the knobs or press the buttons and leave it alone until it unlocks the door when cool. You could google the make and model and see if info is on the www otherwise some other forum member may have the same model.

Thanks Val,

I tried searching the internet for it when I first arrived a year ago, it is probably 10-15 years old, and the only screen it has is the clock.  It has a selector knob (light, fan, grill, rotisserie (I suspect - as I found something that was probably for that), top plate I suspect, and then a symbol which looks like rain drops filling the square, with a similar symbol on the temperature knob ... above 270deg.  So from what you say, I think that must be the pyrolyse button.  There are three more lights - thermostat, marche and pyrolyse (which is why I know its a pyrolyse oven!).

It is a Electrolux Arthur Martin Tentation...... no model number to  be seen easily.When I searched for tentation etc the only inof which I got was for the more modern models with the same name, they looked nothing like mine!

So from what you say, if I turn both buttons to the symbol the light should come on, and  presumably when it is done it will go out again .... I can see no way of locking the door ...

Also, when you said to take everything out, does that include the shelves, and bottom tray, as they could also do with a clean!!

TIA

You need to take out the wire shelves and anything in "ordinary" enamel. The Pyroltic coating is quite distinctive.

Select Pyrolytic function by turning knob, pushing button or whatever.

The door will lock itself and away it goes for a couple of hours.

The wire shelves will have to be cleaned with Ajax, Astonish or something similar!

http://www.electrolux.fr/Support/Manuals/

Is a searchable database or the manuals and even shows where to find the model number.

At

http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Discussions/Cuisine/comment-arthur-martin-sujet_35621_1.htm

Someone was looking for similar instructions and found model FE6422 to be appropriate.

http://www.electrolux-ui.com/2002/337/231901fr.pdf

Wow!  Thank you!

The label is not where it demonstrates, so I think my oven is much older ....... the forum posts were interesting, and the manual you gave the link to was not quite the same as mine, but I think similar enough for me to be able to make use of it ..... it's certainly nearer than anything I found, and explains the symbols which is also most helpful ....so

Forum comes up trumps again, well done and many, many thanks!