Turkey for Christmas 2011

Last year (our first Christmas in France) we brought a Turkey via a friend & found it very expensive, we normally have a 10 or 11 kilo bird (22 or 24 lb). Also saw them at Intermarche at the same price although nowhere near as big (sparrows) at 12.50 Euro's a kilo, is this the norm, or is it possible to get a good size non-frozen Turkey at a lower cost ? & where ? & what is the price of a frozen one, if anybody out there knows, has any thoughts, or info etc please let us know.

We used to find reasonably priced turkeys at Netto, but unfortunately the two outlets near to us have both now closed. The cost was half what the more usual supermarkets charged so this is a huge pity. Since the birth of our two little granddaughters, we now go to UK for Christmas. Having said that, the cost of turkeys in Sainsburys Pinner on 23/12 was hugely expensive - maybe our son left it a little late?

I never believe the size of some of the chickens or turkeys in the UK. Far too big IMO and I wouldn't buy them. Poulet de Bresse often work out at 12-15€ a kilo in France.

We could always buy turkeys in our Super U and Carrefours and our butcher would order them in too if asked. Never monsters though, probably the size of a UK big chicken,(whateverthatissupposedtobe)! 

We bought a turkey the first year in France. It was the size of a big chicken and emptied our bank account. These days we go for pork or leg of lamb. Last year I did a deboned leg of pork, I forget who's recipe I used but you cook it as a 'butterfly' and it was really nice mainly because the skin was still on it and we had crackling which I love.

[quote user="Evianers"]We used to find reasonably priced turkeys at Netto, but unfortunately the two outlets near to us have both now closed. The cost was half what the more usual supermarkets charged so this is a huge pity. Since the birth of our two little granddaughters, we now go to UK for Christmas. Having said that, the cost of turkeys in Sainsburys Pinner on 23/12 was hugely expensive - maybe our son left it a little late?
[/quote]Or a little early! I have heard that you can get bargains if you shop around just before closing time on 24/12. Not that my nerves would let me do that[:D]

Having spent years enduring catering turkey served up at various Xmas corporate events, it's not one of my favourites. That said, the only decent bit of turkey I've eaten was at a business lunch at the Liberal Club in London (God, I'm sounding like Gluestick now....).

Nowadays we settle for a nice rib of beef which also does us for Boxing Day cold cuts, then one of Mrs Sunday's curries to finish it off.  [:D]