No fee for changing your UK driving licence......

mint

None that I can see, Q.  It's just that my card licence expires next year and, following a tip-off from Another (Erns), I decided to change now so that I will get the "for life" French licence and not change next year when the French will also only issue 10-year card licences.

[quote user="Quillan"]... is there an advantage to changing your licence over?

[/quote]

It can be used as a proof of address.

or

If you choose to pay by cheque, it complements the ID card when a shop asks for 2 proofs of ID.

or

It's less hassle than a UK licence if you're stopped by the men in blue at the roadside.

Thanks - I will send a colour photo copy.I went in person to the Prefecture in La Rochelle today, but had not previously seen everything that was requires. The clerk handed me an instruction sheet which mentions the 25€. Thinking of my wife, it does not mention marriage certificate.

Jazzer, are you still there?

Forgive me, I forgot to mention the PHOTOS......you need to send TWO photos.

25 euros sounds right for Charente Maritime.  When OH changed his a few years ago it was 25 euros.  So, at least they haven't put the price up.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's of help to anybody, here is the pleasing result of my application:  licence came today after a few weeks' wait, soaked by the rain but now drying out nicely on the veranda.

I applied by post enclosing all the documents as mentioned earlier to Périgueux préfecture.  It's completely right that it is FREE, GRATUIT [:D]

[quote user="idun"]I'm glad that it was free for you. Pity it costs about 50 or 60 squids in the UK. Mind you I'm sure that we had to pay for a timbre fiscale when I first got mine in France.[/quote]

Yes, I suppose 50 or 60 SQUIDS would have to be an express order at your local fishmonger's?