French vulgar cheese!

Procrastinating all afternoon about finishing the upstairs loo so decided to look at some recipes to translate for the book when I came across this lovely little phrase: un vulgaire fromage blanc. A hundred years ago this would have been sold by a man off a horse and cart or in the local market I guess, but what is the modern equivalent, I guess from a supermarket, svp? Bien vu?

Isn't France wonderful, the land of liberté, egalité et fraternité, to have such an expression.[:D]

wooly, I would say no to that. I do a couple of things to the cheap fromage blanc a la louche and everyone thinks that it is artisanal, so I obviously, using the ancient logic, turn a vulgar sows ear into a silk purse...... or just about. [6]

Is this most commonly found in those big shiny plastic pots in the cold section where France tries to sell off its surplus dairy production?

Yes, Norman, thanks, I know what it is in English but never having bought the stuff here I was wondering what people would buy. It is to go with strawberries, eventually.