EDF refund before I asked?

I was struggling to find all the EDF bills for the last two years (heard about the refund thing a few weeks ago but wasn't sure how to apply) and getting ready to write off to EDF. I nipped out to get the post and there is a cheque from EDF for over 400 euros!

It says 'eremboursement CPTE crediteur'. Is that the same refund as I thought the one judged illegal is CSPE?

It's complicated because we have not sold our old house and have been getting wildly overestimated bills for it - but in that case the cheque should be to my husband as he was the client in the old house. And I have phoned them to explain and got refunds before. I get the bills for the current house as I phoned to set up the account.

The ref number is neither a client number or contract number, it's 702xxxxx.

I have no idea why I should get a refund as we pay bills as we get them. (When I tried to set up a DD they set it for insurance which I had refused, and not the bills!)

'compte créditeur' simply means that your account is in credit.

Seems highly unlikely that it is anything to do with the CSPE business - coincidences do happen - but would be great if it was!

But more likely to be to do with the overestimated bills. Has someone been and read the meter recently?

I agree, it must be a coincidence. The most recent bill was for 409, which is a bit steep for us, but I now realise that it said they were paying us! The total for June-April was 976.

I've no idea why they decided to send a refund without being asked, nor why they overestimated by so much. I must read the meter when the next bill arrives.

I'm now thoroughly confused about applying for a refund! Which I probably won't get anyway.