Strange things on my drive!!

I have posted this here, because I can't think of what heading it should be under!

We have quite a long drive, which looks a bit like a country lane. Twice in the last three weeks, while strimming the grass, I have found sticks, quite obviously stuck vertically into the ground, about a third of the way up the drive.

My thoughts are it's some sort of signal, but by whom, and to who?  (Funnily enough, just fitted two very visible alarms systems, which gives me an idea!!

Steve, if you are going to post, how about sharing the "idea" of who you think it might be [I]

My first thought is if the drive is very long they maybe marker to remind people of their way back, keep them on the left etc [;-)]

Well, Steve, the first thing that springs to mind is that these might just be thieves signals. One prospects properties and leaves a mark so that others can then come along and rob the place. I have heard of chalk marks, dents, plastic bags being used in this way.

Rural crime in France has exploded recently, thanks, according to the police, to gangs from abroad who move into an area, do their dirty business and then move on.

Yes I agree.  I have from time to time found old footballs or an odd shoe thrown over my gates onto my drive.  Reasoning being is that if they're still there days/weeks later then the house must be empty.

So can these sticks be seen from the road but not from the house?  Are they large enough that you would naturally remove them?

Well I didn't put my idea, as I didn't want to put a slant on things, but everyone as more or less agreed!

I had heard of this sort of thing in the UK, so it was the first thing that crossed my mind, but, being rural it might have been the local hunt.

The sticks were well down the drive, nearer the gate than the house, but you could see the house from where they were. Quite chunky bits of wood (half a broom handle in width), there in the first two weeks, nothing for the last two weeks, so!!!

I was aware there had been an increase in theft, hence the two alarms, something visible, a flashing light and visible sensors, though ultimately, if "chummy" wants in, they get in!

Sadly, we go back to the UK the end of the week until mid August, but you have to drive past our neighbour's to get to ours (we are at the very end) and they kept an eye on the house for us.