Is the French National anthem racist?

Various voices are raised occasionally to change the words of the Marcel's Aise on the rounds that they are racist, nationalist and just plain nasty.

What does anyoine think? Here is a link to the words, which are at the bottom of the oage together with English versions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Marseillaise

(I cannot for the life of me get the iplod to make live links)

(This question follows from the Taubira incident)

The word "racist" is bandied about so much these days that I think it's lost its meaning.

What's wrong with being proud of your own nation and thinking it's better than others?

I'm racist, I admit it, and I'm not ashamed of it (so there!)

"an impure blood shouldn't stain our furrows!"

I always found it very blood thirsty. It is a national anthem, so being

pro french to the extreme is just the way it is. Cracking tune though,

can't think of an anthem with a better one.

Taubira should have sang it, or mouthed it if she could not sing. IF it is causing problems then merd e alors, she's a politican, they the politicians could discuss it and maybe even change the words or the anthem. But frankly I doubt it would go down well or that the people of France would want that to happen.

The trouble about mouthing the words is that you end up like that (insert perjoritive word here) Mandelson who made an abysmal effort one time when the Welsh National Anthem was being played/sung.  I don't know the words to it but I would have found out or shut up. Insulting to the Welsh the way he acted.

Isn't everybody's National Anthem recist to some degree?  They're all about tub-thumping and Jingoism and things, aren't they? I reckon the Maoris have it about right: just keep advancing on Johnny Foreigner and gurning. That'll show 'em.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]The trouble about mouthing the words is that you end up like that (insert perjoritive word here) Mandelson who made an abysmal effort one time when the Welsh National Anthem was being played/sung.  I don't know the words to it but I would have found out or shut up. Insulting to the Welsh the way he acted.[/quote]

Oooooh... I'm so torn here... in the interests of accuracy, I think it was John The Vulcan Redwood who had a tussle with the Welsh National Anthem and lost. But I want it to be Mandy... but I think it was Redwood.

Yep...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc

It's still as good as the first time it aired.

Is La Marseillaise racist? No, I don't think so... I think it's a product of its time and it wouldn't be written that way now that... sensitivities... are different. But I don't think it should be re-written.