Estimating value of curtains

Chancer

I have a tenant moving out of my UK property, his removal people have accidentally packed the lounge curtains and sent them to Australia so I have to come up with a replacement value for them, the problem is they are 30 years old and were "proper curtains", the heavy lined type that cut out light, insulated old draughty houses rather than something to look good on a photo, I havnt seen anything like them in décades.

They are, well were now! Full length heavy velvet gathered curtains with very heavy blackout linings, 2.4 m drop and they go wall to wall (with plenty of gathers so are much wider), one wall is about 3.5m wide the other is 4.5m and it took 2 pairs of curtains to get the width.

I paid £325 for them in Debenhams 30 years ago, I can still remember the price because I am still in shock after all that time, it was the first and last time I have ever let a girlfriend go shopping with my cheque book [:(], she did well though as they are (were!) still in very good condition.

I know they are old but they will have to be replaced to give you an idea of the weight they cost me £150 to have cleaned last year.

So any guesses what something similar or a modern equivalent would cost? A link to a web site would be good, I dont really have the time or inclination to go to curtain shops and get quotes at the moment, the most important thing is to get the place straight again and re-let hence the need for a value.

I also recall that they needed turning up to length, they had taped tops with the gather strings, the eyelet type curtains were not around or fashionable then but the new ones will probably be that type as I have replaced the tracks with poles.

Many thanks.

I remember us buying these type of curtains some 30 years ago and bl00dy expensive they were too.

8 foot drop and 12 and 15 foot wide. Mrs Benjamin (and she's pretty goood at this) reckons about 3,000 pounds but as it's the remover's insurance put in a figure of 4,000 pounds. Expect to be asked to get a written quote so you'll need a nice friendly curtain shop.

Good grief!!!!

That might explain why he wanted to do it outside of the security deposit.

I doubt that it was the removers fault, they were probably just told to clear out evrything from a certain area, they had bagged them and put them in the loft as they had their own curtains.

I agree, get them sent back. I reckon if you bought the fabric and got them made up, you would not have much change from a grand. I'm not saying you couldn't get them cheaper, but remember you had quality in your house and you'd need to replace them with quality too.

Cant remember the name of the game show but my reply is "I'll take the money Hughie/Bob or whoever"

They are probably to Oz by container boat and are probably currently languishing in the docks at Felixstowe, I will need to replace them to re-let the house before they could ever get back to me, if they ever got back.

I'm not going to do the sums for you (as maths isn't my strong point) but

[url]http://www.sarahhardaker.co.uk/curtains/[/url]

[url]http://www.tinsmiths-made-to-measure.co.uk/pricing/price-guide-curtains/[/url]

are a couple of random sites who give you some idea of the cost of made to measure curtains.

Sorry. I'm not going to start fiddling with my browser settings just to accommodate this website, so you'll have to c&p

Well I do have a set of two pairs of large curtains, wide, full length etc etc, of the same ilk, of the same age and heaviness, fully lined, for which I now have no use (windows wrong shape!), and would love to find a good home for them, so lovely and thick they are, if they were any use .... shame we are at the wrong end of the country!

Turns out to be a false alarm, he said curtains but iafter I asked the question it turns out he meant the voilage, the price of that I know.

And I very much doubt that the removal men took them, more likely they were put away somewhere and lost or thrown away.