Do the French really dislike us non-French?

Aussie

In the end, surely its 6 of one and half a dozen of other?  We all know "expats" who do not mix, just as much as we all know French people who will say "bonjour" but never progress beyond.  We are all, in the end, just different types of personalities, rather than nationalities, though my experience is that those French who have travelled, or have contacts, acquaintances, even friends and family elsewhere (and more often than you think outside France) are more likely to be more friendly than the local paysan who may never have travelled beyond the largest / nearest big town - if that!

But these are all generalities.  Even in those organisations set up to help people of different nationalities integrate more, (like AVF)  I find that in social settings most conversations stick rigidly to linguistic couplings ... c'est la vie.  That said, if you try, you will at least be accepted .. and more than you think.  Yes, you will always stick out (my OH is considerably taller than the local paysan, so he cannot but help it, for example) and everyone will know who YOU are even if you don't know who THEY are  ... just enjoy, and see what transpires.

And yes, I concur with Sprogster's advice to rent before buying.

Just got back in July from Oz /NZ after a huge 5 week trip - incredible country, and immense, I was constantly amazed at the distances, but also that people did not seem to travel far, (as here, with some exceptions), but do be aware that the grass is not always greener elsewhere,  still it's probably worth the journey or else you will never know, will you?

It depends where you're going to live.

If you come to France and live in a rural community I think you'll find that french people are very family -oriented. Extended family ties are all-important.

So if you don't belong to their family they tolerate you well as long as you're not too ostentatious, and try to speak their language. As for the locals where we live, they're basically kind-hearted and generous with what little they've got, and helpful to strangers.

If you come to live in a town or city then probably attitudes aren't much different from any other city in the world.

OK to answer some questions. We are planning to come to retire.He is of retiring age, I am of course much younger than that! I left England after doing two degrees (Portsmouth and Cranfield) and worked in Oil/gas. He left as teenager - he was ten pound pom. He is TV News director. He may pick up casual work in Europe but for all intents and purpose we will be retired. I am from Hertfordshire and he from Shropshire,So we have both had UK winters, albeit some time ago! We plan to potter, garden, read, write books, sing, drink wine, walk, travel, you get the idea. We will attend a local church but aren't bible bashers. We intend to live in the country, I am a country girl, my main thing is wherever I go I don't want to be able to see/hear neighbours. I have bred/trained/ridden horses here but probably wont there, but we will bring one dog over. If we had infinite amounts of money (and the weather was better!) we'd probably settle in UK but we don't and the type of house we want is too expensive. We plan to sell up here, head to England to do some rellie bashing (yes that's Strine!) Then get car and caravan and travel all around France for as long as it takes to really decide where we want to be (probably South West corner) So if all goes to plan I imagine we'd be buying in a year or 18 months time. Ideally it will be country area, large old house, already restored. We may have an elderly mother in law, or a weird sister in law, or my even weirder parents with us.

Keep coming with the info and ideas, it is all very helpful, thanks.

[:D]The large house with no neighbour in sight and plenty of land for your dog and horses is surprisingly easy to come by; in fact, you'd trip over one every 5 minutes in my neck of the woods.

Others more knowledgeable will tell you about the French health service and how to access it.

This is of HUGE importance as I am sure you will already appreciate.  My Aussie part-time neighbours tell me about the Australian health service and they think it's not dissimilar to the French one.  Also, they experienced it first-hand this summer when one of them had to use the emergency services which they found excellent but even so they found the after hospital procedures quite difficult to follow.  Indeed, I find them difficult too!

Sounds like you are going to have a grand old time so I wouldn't necessarily say don't do it but do proceed with caution and make sure you know about all the essentials like health service, taxation and so on BEFORE falling in love with a house that you feel you absolutely must have.

The French countryside and many houses thereon are very beautiful and could easily turn your head!

I'm pretty sure that they will not have access to french health care, so it would be private health insurance.

Sorry but not seeing or hearing neighbours in the french country side has brought a wry smile to my face. I know people who did that, or tried to, as the noise was unavoidable no matter where they went.

And I don't believe I know of any expats who haven't integrated and got to grips with the language and culture. There again, I lived where people, even etrangers, went to work and not to retire to or set up hospitality businesses.