Landing craft

Bit of an obscure title isn't it. Last night as there was little on TV I ended up zapping through the channels and an odd scene was on one channel. Soldiers clad in iron mail, wearing medieval helmets were rowing in these odd shaped boats, which reminded me of the landing craft in Normandie....... In this film, they seemed to be heading towards England, (I think) and when they hit the beach the front fell down and the soldiers and horses came off.

Only the film, it said, was Ridley Scott's Robin Hood and the idea of these men in these boats did make me howl with laughter. I didn't watch the rest of the film at all, but my, what I saw amused me no end.

And in the light of day, was it really historically correct? And if it were that easy, why didn't Napoleon or Hitler do it?

No idea about your Hobbin Rood Idun, but a few weeks ago we had a few days in Amboise and visited Leos shed. Very interesting, and he had invented a tank comme ça

So not sure about the tank landing craft, but there's the tanque [:-))] Looked quite formidable too..

Though there are primary sources dating back to within a few years of when the film takes place which describe landing craft that "had doors, which were easily opened, and a bridge was thrust out whereby the knights could come forth to land all mounted", these doors were in the stern of the ship, not the bow, and were not intended for amphibious landings. [William of Tyre, Chronicon, ed. Robert B. C. Huygens (Turnhout: Brepols, 1986), p. 927]