Here we go again ?

I recently read an article that said ' expect to pay on average a good EUR 150,000 for a decent three-bedroom-house' in Brittany which would be my favoured region. In Reading at that level you are looking at a 1 bed apartment or mobile home......

However in defence of Reading, it has very low unemployment figures and has very pleasant countryside around it, in addition it is between 25 - 29 minutes from Paddington or you  can go direct to Waterloo. It is also within 90 mins of Portsmouth for the ferry or Heathrow or Southampton for an airport.....It also has pretty decent shops......

Maybe it wouldn't have been my first choice of places to live but its not THAT bad.

Having said all that,  the changes to the regulations regarding 2nd homes, it may well be that France again becomes a popular place to buy again for Brits

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Russethouse"]

However in defence of Reading, it has very low unemployment figures[/quote]

Did you realise that is the only bit that actually applied to Reading, all of the other was around or away from Reading [:)]

[/quote]

Yes I did, one of the best things about Reading is how easy it is to get out of it ;-)

As for Bracknell, not my cup of tea. But a lot of money is being spent on it at present to upgrade it, so who knows...?

I'm hesitant to mention our loca l theatre/ concert hall as local people complain so much about it, never the less within the past couple of years as well as other classical concerts I have seen John Williams perform Concerto de Aranjuez and Tamsin Little play the Bruch violin concerto .( which both made me very happy ) The Royal Philamonic is our 'house ' orchestra. We have also seen Swan Lake ( not a stellar performance, a swan fell over) but it was available. In addition we have a fantastic array of restaurants, virtually every chain you can think of plus some really good independents. You can eat around the world....indeed less than a mile away we have Indian, Chinese Thai, Spanish, Greek and Italien plus a very good English restaurant...

Now they have discovered the tomb of a King, a Henry IIRC, in the Abbey ruins ( cheek by jowel to Oscar Wildes Reading Gaol ) there is going to be more of a push to make Reading more tourist friendly .....

And if at the end of the day I'm tired of Reading I'm just seven miles from Henley on Thames. :-)

Although we come under Wokingham district, we pop into Reading quite a bit for shopping etc. It isn't a lovely town, the planners got rid of so many lovely buildings. But it's a good place to shop etc and has many other amenities, such as the theatre/concert hall that RH mentioned, the Thames close to the centre for views and walks and for outings with the grandchildren to feed the ducks, plus some very good restaurants at reasonable prices. There's also a very good hospital; not a tourist attraction, but excellent to have nearby and something my family has cause to be thankful for.

After watching many live bands in pubs and clubs it became very obvious why a good local hospital is needed, sadly that is my lasting memory of Reading.

Now Henley, only have wonderful memories boating up and down the river from Hurley, lunch in the Flowerpot, dessert in the Angel on the bridge then up to Shiplake for a pick nick on one of the islands.

I did an MA at Reading many years ago, partly during the summer vac and the rest from January. The campus and facilities were fine and some of the faculties tip top. However, there was a major issue of student safety in the green park areas to the extent that either special buses were provided after dark, the rugby club saw the ladies safely home or heavy police/ guard patrolling.

My short time at Imperial was however a class above in all honesty.

But this was many, many years ago when academe was a challenge.