Tax d'habitation

I smell a nasty rat here, guys, thoughts please.

The house in the Vendee was sold mid December 2015 and the buyers were informed that they were liable for the taxe d' habitation 2016 onwards ( we sorted all the other taxes). Yet a couple of weeks ago, I got the taxe d'hab demand sent to me. Which I smartly sent to the new people. The notaire had informed me this might happen.

The new owners queried that there was a TV licence demand attached as they had no telly and no receivers. Which the fisc said they would deal with, but at the same time, they said that I was liable for the taxe d'habitation for 2016 as I had declared my residence at the old house.

Which I certainly had not. The commune knew I was leaving, though not in wriiting which is not necessary as far as I know. In fact I was camping at Angela's place until my new home was available in mid-Feb.

So, does anyone know what the heck is happening here, svp?

I don't think the commune have anything to do with the taxe d'habitation in the sense that it is between you and  les impôts directly.

Have you got an attestation  from the notaire that you bought the new place on a certain date?

Secondly did  you or the notaire inform the old office that you stopped living there on a certain date?

I had a similar problem when I moved into the  village flat but they tried to continue to take the taxe d'hab for the place I had been renting as well

(This is separate from Béziers) and I had to go in and argue face to face with the documenation that showed the date of moving out and the date of moving  into the new place..

It is tiresome  but you may have to go in and seduce the amazon behind the counter with your wooly charm..

Thank you Norman. A trip to the Vendee is not on the cards for the moment but I will have to keep it in the reserve.

Apparently I have to prove I was NOT resident at the old house. Try proving a negative, theoretically impossible.

I will see what they say tomorrow and whether a letter from Angela will suffice.

But surely you can prove the date of the sale?

The taxe d'habitation is payable by the owner unless it can be shown as occupied by someone else

"

Vous disposiez d'un logement au 1er janvier 2016. Vous êtes en

principe imposable à la taxe d'habitation au titre de cette année.

Que vous soyez propriétaire, locataire ou occupant à titre gratuit, la taxe d'habitation est due pour votre habitation

but you didn't "dispose" because it had been sold, and  it is for the new owner to show  who was occupying it.

Just send them an attestation sur honneur that you were not living at the property on the 1st of January 2016, it will enable them to tick the required box, there is not a box to tick for using common sense and it isnt encouraged.

I would also add that you were no longer the proprietaire, that it was sold on X date, that you were living at Y address on the 1st of January but all that is needed is the former.

Yes, thanks Chancer, guess it will be something like that.

Apparently even though I was only staying at a friend's house and not renting I would be liable for the tax d'hab. which I suspect the owner has already paid.

I wonder what would happen if I had actually been away on 1st January, even abroad???

Right, when you sold and left your old place, you gave the utilities your last readings and you will have bills for these. Electricity and water....maybe gas too? Also you will have cancelled your house insurance too. Dig up these bills and send them to the hotel des impots stating clearly that u on sold up in december.

Also did you get a last bill from the notaire, send that with the rest.

Also the notaires job is to inform the tax office. So ask them for a copy of the document they sent, and also to send it again.

Also did the new people move in immediately? Because if they did they would have had the utilities started pre 1st January. And if that is the case isn't what they are doing fraud???

Lots of 'also's', and I may yet think of more.

Just wondering what nationality bought from you?

Edit Obviously you were answering chancer whilst I was typing. You could have been anywhere after you sold up, you could even have been in Belgium!!!

What about a bill from the demenageurs for removal and storage of your possessions?

Or proof that you had asked for your post to be redirected from November 2015?

Though if it is the notaire's job to inform the tax d'hab office, maybe he/she did not do that?

Angela

So with the furniture out it is unoccupiable by you and therefore no taxe d'habitation to be paid.

As for the TV they fill in the form that they do not have any apparatus and get the money back.....or perhaps they do not want to tell a 'lie' :)

They are Brits; to be fair, they paid the bill but the payment was refused as they were not the people named on the bill!

I have, apparently to prove that I was NOT at my old house on 1st January 2016. How to do it? Well, I could get a letter from Angela, I suppose.

Proving a negative is rather difficult in fact.

Am I missing something? Wasn't the house sold in December?

Tell them to take a running jump, that you can no more prove that you were not living in a house on the 1st of January that you had sold and moved out from in December than they can prove that they were not living on the moon on that day.

When people get as stupid as this I tell them that I will be throwing any further communication in the dustbin, they usually get the message.

Notaire then, it was one of the few jobs these people really are supposed to do. Get onto them and get the copies I suggested. I do not like notaires, as far as I am concerned, money for nothing.

Have you called this tax office? I would.

edit, just a thought, where did the money from the sale go? If it was straight to the new place, then that will show up somewhere too, or if it was your bank account, then it will show on your statement too, won't it???/