Language Camps

TWINKLE

Some of you know that I have a 10 year old daughter who was born in France.  I spoke only English to her until she was 6 years old.  Her French is perfect and she understands everyting in English and prefers to watch films in English.  She is and always has been very hesitant to speak to me and French people in English (I'm Welsh but completely bilingual) but has no problem talking to my family and friends when we visit or when they come to stay with us in France. 

She has started having English lessons at her school and is obviously top of her class.  However, she's not very interested in reading in English and her level is nowhere near her level in French.  I'm sure this will change later and I don't want to push her as they have enough homework as it is.

I heard about language camps for French children to learn English while having fun and made some enquiries and I found a great one in Ardèche.  I have enrolled her for 5 days during the Easter hols and she's really looking forward to it.  It's set in a pony ranch and there are loads of really fun activities, from Art to Theatre, cookery classes, gardening, yoga and beginners martial arts, games and music sessions. The list goes on - all of these are supervised by native English speakers. I think this will get her interested again in speaking and reading English.

I was wondering if any of you had the same 'problem' with your Frenglish kids?  Have any of you ever tried these camps?

I have a six year old (grandson) who absolutely devours

books at an amazing rate. As your daughter is already fluent in English

have you looked at the type of books she's being given to read. Maybe

they're just not stimulating enough for her to show a great deal of

interest?

The Language Camp sounds very interesting but from your daughter's

point of view maybe it's more to do with all the other activities

rather than the language side of things. She'll be in the same

situation though as she is at present in being the best in the class as

all the other kids will be native French so she may end up feeling the

same as  she does in school now.

I thought this camp may get her interested because there will be 3 other bilingual children there too.  I agree with you about the books though - even with the French we have to search the library for ages before she chooses any that really grab her attention.

Although she is 10 years old her level of reading English has stayed at 6 or 7 I would say and so finding storylines in English that appeal isn't as easy as it seems.

Any book ideas?

I was recently reading about one of these camps .... and would love to be 10 again to be able to go to one ....sounds like great fun and a great way for english and french kids to meet and mix ..Can you post us the link to the one you have so we can all see it ? I think it would be a hugh help with learning langauge skills with out realising they are learning ....

Would your daughter be interested in books like the famous five or is that too old fashioned for kids nowadays ... Im in town next week and will see if I can spot any pony adventure type modern ones ... to tell you about

Love to hear how it went when she gets back ... with photos please !![;-)]  

I dont quite know how you would find such an animal but if there were a similar English learning type summer camp that took international students she would be rubbing shoulders with interesting teenagers from other countries that she would only be able to communicate with in English.

I am sure that in tgis instance her curiosity would overcome her shyness/reticence.

This camp also cater for teenagers but I couldn't enrol my daughter because they have specific age groups.  I have a feeling that when she mixes with the other kids she may want to show off a bit with her knowledge of English (she's quite competitive) thus giving her a boost to her confidence and the desire to carry on improving her English skills.

I am also considering sending her to one of my sisters during the summer so that she will have to speak it all of the time but I have been considering this idea for 3 years and I'm still not ready to let her go.  I know I'm probably holding her back but I would miss her so much [:(]

Here's a link to the website if anyones interested anyway.

http://www.kidsplanet.fr/

I'll let you know what she thought of it Pads and thank you for the offer for a book - she is reading Famous Five in French and I am reading her one in English that a very kind lady already bought her [;-)].  She can't cope with English at this level alone yet and just gets frustrated as it becomes hard work for her and not fun like books are supposed to be.

Sure!  Great idea Benjie!

Just need a few ideas for book ideas that will appeal to an adventurous 10 year old who has a reading level of an 8 year old.  This has gone up in my estimation as she has curiously started reading my English e-mails over my shoulder and she's not as bad as I thought. 

It's the competitive streak in her and she has heard me voicing my concerns about her English lately. 

Communication!!![:)]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]  she is reading Famous Five in French and I am reading her one in English that a very kind lady already bought her [;-)] [/quote]

Twinkle - My son is 9 years old (soon to be 10) and educated in France.  His English is not that good when compared with a child in the UK because of the gaps in his English language by being here.

However, I have read the first four Famous Five books to him, a chapter or two every night.  They are really quite exciting and even I wanted to know the endings and would hurry through the chapters.  Anyway, my son has just finished reading the fifth book in the series completely on his own. It took him about a month but he was really keen and was reading it instead of playing on his gameboy etc.  So I'm a real fan of Famous Five.  Amazing how they have stood the test of time.

I agree with you Cathy - I loved all of Enid Blyton's books too as a child -I wish she had the same love of reading I had - but there you go. 

She does have a penchant for BDs ( cartoons) and that is a very good idea - I will scout out some good ones in English! Cheers Albert!

A very interesting read about 'reading and children'   Comme un Roman  by Pennac.

He basically tries to explain why 'forcing' children to read in counterproductive.

I have 2 grown-up daughters. 1 has always read avidly - and still does. The other never has, and still doesn't!?

Never implied you did Twinkle. Never crossed my mind, honestly. 

The book is really worth reading though - and made me think.

My mother used to love reading - but when she was young, her mother wouldn't let her read. It was seen in those days as a 'waste of time' and 'putting fancy ideas in your head'. She had to hide to read. How the world has changed!