Hotel guides 2009

cherrytree

I'm trying to book hotels when travelling through France this summer. I have always relied on the Rotard Hotels and Restos book, and as our is hopelessly out of date (2005) I thought it would be easy to get a 2009 one. Amazon don't seem to stock it ditto Waterstones. Can anyone tell me how I can easily find information about characterful not desperately expensive hotels please? (or the Routard). I don't find Logis de France a totally reliable guide but am willing to be convinced!

I rely heavily on Trip Advisor http://www.tripadvisor.fr/ when researching hotels for holidays in France.  I don't much like big hotels, and usually try to find smaller, family run places. 

With the aid of the comments made by others who have used the hotels, I haven't been disappointed yet, and have stayed in places I would never have found otherwise.

[quote user="cherrytree"]. I don't find Logis de France a totally reliable guide but am willing to be convinced!

[/quote]

I always use Logis de France and I haven't had a failure yet (in 20 years) although you must use the up to date guide, preferably http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/index.htm

because the hotels do seem to change a lot. If you can get to a logis - the softback guide is now free [:)]

We also use the English Routard guide. As ours was getting out of date, I wrote to the English publishers (I forget their name, but one of the well-known guides people), who replied that they were not planning bringing out a new edition just yet. So we still use our old Routard, and amend it as necessary. Very many are the same as years ago, as so many are family-owned businesses. It's such a good guide, too; the French editions are by departement only, so you need several to cover a holiday. Quite a lot in the Routard are also Logis. I generally steer clear of Logis unless I have seen them elsewhere, or they come recommended, as in one near Troyes that was recommended recently on this forum.

Where are you planning going? There's great info available on here.

Jo