Suggestions for a campsite within 100 miles of Calais

thepenofmyaunt

I have stayed many times at Camping le Canchy at Licques, only about 25 minutes from Calais, its on the river but not a lake, I visited the old owners in the Indre et Loire who had worked well  into their retirement, they tell me that the current owners are very nice and I trust their judgement.

Closer to me in La Somme, +/- 90 miles from Calais almost every village on the river Ancre from Corbie to Albert or on the river Somme from Amiens to Peronne will have one or more camp sites usually beside lakes.

Be warned many dont advertise or have an internet presence, in 2006 a friend came to visit with his family and caravan and announced that there were no camp sites in La Somme and he had done his usual exhaustive research; whereas in fact there are hundreds of hidden gems and some that are long past their heyday of the 60's.

When we were holidaying here with the caravan (before our permanent move) we always used the campsite at Guines, very close to Calais (10km), handy for the early morning hop to the ferry. That was if we didn't want to push on. It was in the Eurocamp Independant brochure in those days.

EDIT: and still is http://www.eurocampindependent.co.uk/campsites/overview.cfm?mc=119

http://www.camping-castels.co.uk/camping-la-bien-assise-id253-id_camping21.html

We also used to use the Guines site, alao enjoyed meals at the restaurant in the grounds. The site facilities have changed over the years, such as better swimming facilities etc, and I've heard that it's still a good site. However, many people just use it as a one-night stop on arrival from UK or on the way back, so parts of it can be busy. It's a good base for exploring that area of France.

Another good site further about 90 minutes down the A16 is the Chateau de Drancourt; it's close to the lovely town of St. Valery sur Somme, and is a great area to explore, with a lovely bird sanctuary nearby very well worth a visit.

Yes, GG, we've been to Drancourt too, and it was good. Our experience of sites is a little outdated now though, and things can change. If they're still in the Eurocamp brochure it's an indication that they're probably up to UK standards, by which I mean, attractive to Brits, which suited us at the time!